Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Summing with identical Vlookup values

Hi all,

I am having a issue with Vlookup. I have a table with a number of
values which im looking up in a column but a lot of them are the same.
I need a formula that can add the ones that are the same and print the
value into a cell.

Instance-

value i want to look up : bbb

Item Number#
aaa 5
aaa 3
bbb 4
ccc 8
aaa 4
ccc 7
bbb 8

So i want to to lookup bbb and add all instances together to give me :
12

Any help would be appreciated, thx a lot.

--
kanuvas
kanuvas's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27911

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
Use SUMIF function:

Assume Item Number is in column A (a2:a8) and counts in B (b2:b8) then in C1
put "=SUMIF(a2:a8,"bbb",b2:b8)" (without quotation marks).

HTH

"kanuvas" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=SUMIF(A1:A7,"bbb",B1:B7)

[...]