Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default After Save Event - Confirm

Thanks for all of your help. Just to confirm - by combining the suggestions
of your posts, is the below code the proper way to perform the After Save
Event? Thanks!

Boolean)
Cancel = True
'<Optional - this would be before save code
application.enableevents = false
ThisWorkbook.Save
application.enableevents = true
'<Optional - this would be after save code

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes. Because you are doing a SAVE

You can tell if the user is going to be offered a file name selection dialog
by checking

Dim fName as Variant
On Error goto ErrHandler

Cancel = True
if SaveAsUI then
fName = Applicaton.GetSaveAsFileName()
if fName = "False" then
exit sub
else
Application.EnableEvents = False
thisworkbook.SaveAs fName
Application.EnableEvents = True
end if
else
Application.EnableEvents = False
thisworkbook.Save
Application.EnableEvents = True
end if

ErrHandler:
Application.EnableEvents = True
end sub

Tom Ogilvy

"Steph" wrote in message
Thanks for all of your help. Just to confirm - by combining the

suggestions
of your posts, is the below code the proper way to perform the After

Save
Event? Thanks!

Boolean)
Cancel = True
'<Optional - this would be before save code
application.enableevents = false
ThisWorkbook.Save
application.enableevents = true
'<Optional - this would be after save code

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,
I added a few msgbox statements and tested your code. The Save works great.
But when I select SaveAs, nothing happens. I don't get the prompt to enter
the file name, and the file is not saved at all. Any ideas? Here's what I
have:

Boolean)

Dim fName As Variant
On Error GoTo ErrHandler

Cancel = True
If SaveAsUI Then
fName = Applicaton.GetSaveAsFilename()
If fName = "False" Then
Exit Sub
Else
'<Optional - this would be before save code
MsgBox ("Before save")
Application.EnableEvents = False
ThisWorkbook.SaveAs fName
Application.EnableEvents = True
'<Optional - this would be after save code
MsgBox ("After save")
End If
Else
'<Optional - this would be before save code
MsgBox ("Before save")
Application.EnableEvents = False
ThisWorkbook.Save
Application.EnableEvents = True
'<Optional - this would be after save code
MsgBox ("After save")
End If

ErrHandler:
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

"Steph" wrote in message
Thanks for all of your help. Just to confirm - by combining the
suggestions
of your posts, is the below code the proper way to perform the After

Save
Event? Thanks!

Boolean)
Cancel = True
'<Optional - this would be before save code
application.enableevents = false
ThisWorkbook.Save
application.enableevents = true
'<Optional - this would be after save code

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well one of use can't spell application < sheepish grin Guess it was me

fName = Applicaton.GetSaveAsFilename()

should be
fName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename()

Since there is an error handler in effect, it hides the error. Until you
get your code working you should comment out the

On error goto ErrHandler

line.

Tom Ogilvy

"Steph" wrote in message
Thanks for all of your help. Just to confirm - by combining the
suggestions
of your posts, is the below code the proper way to perform the

After
Save
Event? Thanks!

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel

As
Boolean)
Cancel = True
'<Optional - this would be before save code
application.enableevents = false
ThisWorkbook.Save
application.enableevents = true
'<Optional - this would be after save code

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Tom! Never even thought to look becasue of the error handler. Good
advice to add at the very end! Otherwise I'd be staring at hthe code
forever!!

Can I ask a follow-up?
As I have things set up now, the 'before save' code and 'after save' code
execute when the user hits Save
or SaveAs.
But, if the user makes some changes, and selects Close, Excel prompts if you
want to save changes. In that case, I would only want the 'before save'
event to trigger. Is that possible? Thanks!

"Steph" wrote in message
Thanks for all of your help. Just to confirm - by combining the
suggestions
of your posts, is the below code the proper way to perform the

After
Save
Event? Thanks!

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean,

Cancel
As
Boolean)
Cancel = True
'<Optional - this would be before save code
application.enableevents = false
ThisWorkbook.Save
application.enableevents = true
'<Optional - this would be after save code

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In the beforeclose event put in

ThisWorkbook.Saved = True

and the user shouldn't be prompted.

Tom Ogilvy

"Steph" wrote in message
Thanks for all of your help. Just to confirm - by combining

the
suggestions
of your posts, is the below code the proper way to perform the

After
Save
Event? Thanks!

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean,

Cancel
As
Boolean)
Cancel = True
'<Optional - this would be before save code
application.enableevents = false
ThisWorkbook.Save
application.enableevents = true
'<Optional - this would be after save code

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

But that assumes the user saved the file before closing. So the user could
make changes, close, and all changes are discarded. I still want them to be
prompted if changes were made, but don't want the "after save" piece of code
to fire.

"Steph" wrote in message
Thanks for all of your help. Just to confirm - by combining

the
suggestions
of your posts, is the below code the proper way to perform

the
After
Save
Event? Thanks!

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean,

Cancel
As
Boolean)
Cancel = True
'<Optional - this would be before save code
application.enableevents = false
ThisWorkbook.Save
application.enableevents = true
'<Optional - this would be after save code

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think you need to program the before close (this fires before the before
save). Check the ThisWorkbook.Saved property - this should tell you if the
user will get the save prompt. If ThisWorkbook.Saved is True, then do
nothing.

If ThisWorkbook.Saved is False,
then you can put up a message box and ask if the user wants to save. If
so, set EnableEvents to False and save the workbook. Turn events back on
and let it continue. It the user says no, don't save, then set
ThisWorkbook.Saved = True and let it continue.

Tom Ogilvy