Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Please help

Hi All,

I really need to figure this out.... please help
Is there a way to add custom datalabels to a chart? Like may be like adding
a certain values of the range as datalable.

To explain this better, if I have a set of rows where the alternate row
starts as datalabel like shown below.

type 1
type 2
type 3
type 4
type 5

value
6.11864
4.16794
6.36036
6.38182
5.64151

lable
4.1N
4.2
3.2DN
2.1SR
4.5

Usually type 1 and so on will show up as datalabel. But my question is can I
make the change to the databale values to be the values in the row that
corresponds to lable in the above table.

Condition is as long as the value has any Alpha charecter apply that value
to the datalabel other wise if the value is just numeric or blank then do
not show or apply the datalable.

Hope I am clear ...... Please some one help me this is very important.

Yesh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Generally speaking, it is possible to combine series of data in a chart such
that they appear to be one set of data with a customized appearance.

If I understand your example, you have a series of data points (the "Value"
group) and they correspond to the regular datalabels "type 1" through "type
6". It also appears that you have an alternate set of labels for each point,
but you only want to see them if they have an alphabetic character in their
string.

In your Excel data table, you would create a new column which becomes your
modified labels (in this case, the x-axis).

Types Labels NewLbl Values
type 1 4.1N 4.1N 6.11864
type 2 4.2 type 2 4.16794
type 3 3.2DN 3.2DN 6.36036
type 4 2.1SR 2.1SR 6.38182
type 5 4.5 type 5 5.64151

The formula for each cell in the "NewLbl" column tests the value in the
Labels column for the alpha string and creates a new label based on that.
For example, the first cell above (in cell C2) has this formula:
=IF(ISERR(VALUE(B2)),B2,A2)

You then use that column for your x-axis in creating your chart.

If you prefer to have the data labels by each point, you'd have to have two
sets of series, one of them using and XY (scatter) chart type and then choose
to show the x-axis value by each data point (which would be the Newlbl value
above).

"Yeshwin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Pretty close with teh exception of the following that
for Type 2 and type 5 there will be no datalable at all since there is no
alpha or data in it.

Also once I apply this new datalables I want to delete that row or column
from where we are getting the value for the datalabel. Also the chart type
is bar chart.

I am not sure on how to do this, even thought I kind of understand what you
are trying to explain below.

Thanks Glenn for reply.

Yesh