Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default ATT: Chip Please help with progress reporter

Hi Chip,

I am using your progress reporter dll and it works very nicely.
Unfortunately, I am too stupid to write the code to enable the user to
cancel the loop by clicking on the dialog's cancel button. Can you give me
some guidance please?

FD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Chip Please help with progress reporter

FD,

As far as I can see, you don't need to do anything. The DLL handles cancels
quite nicely itself, all you need to do is to click the button.

If you mean that you want to interrupt the Cancel event and do some of your
own processing, then you need to create a class to catch the events. The
class code would look something like this

Option Explicit

Public WithEvents PB As ProgressReporter.Progressor

Public Sub PB_UserCancel(Cancel As Boolean)
MsgBox "Interrupted"
End Sub

and using Chip's example you would invoke it like this, assuming the class
module is named clsEventSink,

Option Explicit

Dim Prog As ProgressReporter.Progressor
Dim cPB As clsEventSink

Sub Test()
Dim N As Long

Set Prog = New ProgressReporter.Progressor
Set cPB = New clsEventSink
Set cPB.PB = Prog
With Prog
.MinimumValue = 0
.MaximumValue = 10000
.SetParentWindow 0
.CurrentValue = 0
.Show
For N = 1 To 10000
'
' your code here
'
DoEvents
.Increment 1
Next N
End With

Set cPB = Nothing
Set Prog = Nothing

HTH

RP

"FrigidDigit" wrote in message
Hi Chip,

I am using your progress reporter dll and it works very nicely.
Unfortunately, I am too stupid to write the code to enable the user to
cancel the loop by clicking on the dialog's cancel button. Can you give me
some guidance please?

FD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob,

Just a question. Once my procedure starts running, the dialog box does not
have focus and trying to click on the cancel button has no effect.

What am I doing wrong? Please let me know which code snippets you need to
see to help.

Thank you very much!

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Where are you placing the code? You need to declare the object
WithEvents in a class module (e.g., a regular class module, a
sheet module, a userform, or the ThisWorkbook module). It won't
work if you declare the object in a regular module, since regular
code modules can't trap events.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Chip!

As mentioned previously I am pretty stupid around VBA so please bear with
me.

I have not declared any WithEvents object as I don't have a clue how to do
this. I may may be stuffing about with something I know dangerously little
about but I would really like to do this right.

I have perused the online help and gleaned the following:

I need to create a class module containing:
Public WithEvents Prog As Application

Then I need to connect the declared object with the class module, right?

Dim Prog As New EventClassModule

Sub InitializeApp()
Set Prog.App = Application
End Sub

Is this right? And where to from here?

Thanks for your response Chip!
FD

"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

FD,

The code I posted showed all the code, apart from your specific event code,
that needs to go into the class module, and the code to add to your calling
module to connect the class module to the progressbar. That was done in this
snippet

Dim Prog As ProgressReporter.Progressor
Dim cPB As clsEventSink

Sub Test()
Dim N As Long

Set Prog = New ProgressReporter.Progressor
Set cPB = New clsEventSink
Set cPB.PB = Prog

You must have some code similar to that already that dimensions a
progressbar variable and News it, so just add a Eventsink variable, and new
that in the code, and connect with

Set cPB.PB = Prog

where cPB is the name of the class module, and PB is the WithEvents variable
declared in the class module.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Bob,

Sorry about that, I was getting lost. I should have made sure I understand
your code properly before asking again.

Thank for your help.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob,

Was hijacked by my boss to deal with another deadline, will work on it
tonight and get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the time you took to help.