Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Application.WorksheetFunction problem

I am trying to call ISEVEN() from VBA with:

Dim b as Boolean
b = Application.WorksheetFunction.ISEVEN(A1)

I am raising "Object doesn't support this Property or Method"

What is the correct syntax?
--
Gary''s Student
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

try

If Range("I11") Mod 2 = 0 Then MsgBox "even"

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Gary''s Student" wrote in message
I am trying to call ISEVEN() from VBA with:

Dim b as Boolean
b = Application.WorksheetFunction.ISEVEN(A1)

I am raising "Object doesn't support this Property or Method"

What is the correct syntax?
--
Gary''s Student

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

if you want to test for a number first
Sub iseven()
myrange = Range("I11")
If IsNumeric(myrange) Then
If myrange Mod 2 = 0 Then MsgBox "even"

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
try

If Range("I11") Mod 2 = 0 Then MsgBox "even"

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Gary''s Student" wrote in

message
I am trying to call ISEVEN() from VBA with:

Dim b as Boolean
b = Application.WorksheetFunction.ISEVEN(A1)

I am raising "Object doesn't support this Property or Method"

What is the correct syntax?
--
Gary''s Student

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One option: In the vba editor, go to Tools | References...and add
"atpvbaen.xls"

Then...

Dim EvenQ As Boolean
EvenQ = IsEven(Range("A1"))

HTH :)
--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

"Gary''s Student" wrote in message
I am trying to call ISEVEN() from VBA with:

Dim b as Boolean
b = Application.WorksheetFunction.ISEVEN(A1)

I am raising "Object doesn't support this Property or Method"

What is the correct syntax?
--
Gary''s Student

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks all.

I'll use Don's approach. I still can't get Tm's approach to work. Do I
have to enable worksheet functions in VBA like the Analysis ToolPak
--
Gary''s Student

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

I am trying to call ISEVEN() from VBA with:

Dim b as Boolean
b = Application.WorksheetFunction.ISEVEN(A1)

I am raising "Object doesn't support this Property or Method"

What is the correct syntax?
--
Gary''s Student

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, I assumed this was a worksheet function since you were using that
qualifier. Based on what Dana has said, I look and see that is is provided
by the Analysis toolpak. If you have the analysis toolpak VBA installed you
can then do

b = Application.run ("ATPVBAEN.XLA!IsEven", Range("A1"))

to demo from the immediate window:

Range("A1").Value = 4
? Application.run("ATPVBAEN.xla!IsEven",Range("A1"))
[GetMacroRegId] 'ISEVEN' <
[GetMacroRegId] 'ISEVEN' - '752746504'
True
Range("A1").Value = 3
? Application.run("ATPVBAEN.xla!IsEven",Range("A1"))
[GetMacroRegId] 'ISEVEN' <
[GetMacroRegId] 'ISEVEN' - '752746504'
False

the lines with the [] are debug statements that the developers apparently
forgot to turn off before shipping. You only see them in the immediate
window. They would not affect you code. You do see it correctly returns
true or false based on the value of Range("A1")

Using xl2003

Tom Ogilvy

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Dim b as Boolean
b = Application.WorksheetFunction.ISEVEN(Range("A1"))

Tom Ogilvy

"Gary''s Student" wrote in

message
I am trying to call ISEVEN() from VBA with:

Dim b as Boolean
b = Application.WorksheetFunction.ISEVEN(A1)

I am raising "Object doesn't support this Property or Method"

What is the correct syntax?
--
Gary''s Student

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

... debug statements that the developers apparently
forgot to turn off before shipping. You only see them in the immediate
window. They would not affect you code.

For those not familiar with how bad this Bug is, here is a small demo. I
run a few applications that use Fourier Analysis along with a worksheet with
many Engineering functions. Performance is so bad, that it's best to use
your own Fourier function and by-pass the ATP functions. I've tried and
tried to pass it on to Microsoft, but they don't seem to see it as a
problem. Ahhh!

Open the vba editor, and have the immediate window available to watch.
This is fast, and is not an issue. Nothing is written to the immediate
window:

Sub VeryFast()
[A:B].Clear
[A:A] = 3
[B:B].FormulaR1C1 = "=MOD(RC[-1],2)=0"
End Sub

This is Terrible, and is a major problem.

Sub VeryBad()
[A:B].Clear
[A:A] = 3
[B:B].FormulaR1C1 = "=IsEven(RC[-1])"

Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Dim b as Boolean
b = Application.WorksheetFunction.ISEVEN(Range("A1"))

Tom Ogilvy

"Gary''s Student" wrote in

message
I am trying to call ISEVEN() from VBA with:

Dim b as Boolean
b = Application.WorksheetFunction.ISEVEN(A1)

I am raising "Object doesn't support this Property or Method"

What is the correct syntax?
--
Gary''s Student

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'll use Don's approach.

It's an excellent idea, but just be aware of some bugs, I mean limitations,
err... features of Excel...

Sub Demo()
[A1] = 2147483648#
If Range("A1") Mod 2 = 0 Then MsgBox "Even"
End Sub

Note that the number 2147483647 in binary is 31 1's.
--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

I am trying to call ISEVEN() from VBA with:

Dim b as Boolean
b = Application.WorksheetFunction.ISEVEN(A1)

I am raising "Object doesn't support this Property or Method"

What is the correct syntax?
--
Gary''s Student

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you Dana:

For my simple applications, either method works. I learned 3 things:

1. just adding-in the Analysis ToolPak is not enough, VBA needs its own
reference
2. some worksheet functions like ROMAN() will work with
Application.WorksheetFunction
3. other worksheet functions like ISBLANK() are only for the worksheet
--
Gary's Student

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

I am trying to call ISEVEN() from VBA with:

Dim b as Boolean
b = Application.WorksheetFunction.ISEVEN(A1)

I am raising "Object doesn't support this Property or Method"

What is the correct syntax?
--
Gary''s Student

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can find which ones work by using the object browser in the VBE. Select
"worksheetfunction" in the left window and you will see the supported
functions in the right.