Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to re-set focus to the text box after deleting invalid data?

Hello:
I would appreciate help with the following:

I have a user form with text box.
If the user enters an invalid data into the text box, I display a
message box stating "DATE ENTERED IS INVALID. PLEASE RE-ENTER"

When the user clicks OK, the invalid data gets deleted using:
txtbox1.value =""

I then want the same textbox (txtbox1) to get focus so that the user
can re-enter data.
However, I notice that the cursor moves to the NEXT text box (eg
txtbox2)
I have tried using the code
txtbox1.setfocus" OR
txtbox1.SelStart = 0

However, none seems to work. I am obviously missing something simple.
Would really appreciate your help

TIA
Vinay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If the textbox is on a userform, your validation code should be in the Exit
event. You will see this event has an argument CANCEL.

If the entry is not validated, then in that part of your code just put in a
line

Cancel = True

and the textbox will not be exited.

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello:
I would appreciate help with the following:

I have a user form with text box.
If the user enters an invalid data into the text box, I display a
message box stating "DATE ENTERED IS INVALID. PLEASE RE-ENTER"

When the user clicks OK, the invalid data gets deleted using:
txtbox1.value =""

I then want the same textbox (txtbox1) to get focus so that the user
can re-enter data.
However, I notice that the cursor moves to the NEXT text box (eg
txtbox2)
I have tried using the code
txtbox1.setfocus" OR
txtbox1.SelStart = 0

However, none seems to work. I am obviously missing something simple.
Would really appreciate your help

TIA
Vinay

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Vinay,

Tou can use the exit event for the textbox:

Private Sub TextBox1_Exit(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean)
If Not IsDate(TextBox1.Text) Then
MsgBox "DATE ENTERED IS INVALID. PLEASE RE-ENTER",
vbExclamation, "Retry"
Me.TextBox1.Text = ""
Cancel = True

Hoop This Helps