Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Please help!

I am trying to use selection.find for a word that may or may not be in the
specified search. My problem is that when I do the selection find and it
doesn't find the word, the macro stops and prompts me to debug with the
following message:

Object variable or With Block variable not set.

Here is where the bug is located:

Range("V38,V45,V52,V58,V65,V72,V78,V84").Select
If Range("AG21").Value = "N" And ActiveCell < "Tony" Then
Selection.Find(What:="Alternate", After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:
=xlFormulas, _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Tony"
End If

Now I think the problem is that it can't Activate a cell because it did NOT
find the word "Alternate". How can I write the code so it will work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Perfect! Thanks!

Gary Keramidas wrote:
try adding this as the first line and see if it helps

On Error Resume Next

I am trying to use selection.find for a word that may or may not be in the
specified search. My problem is that when I do the selection find and it

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
NOT
find the word "Alternate". How can I write the code so it will work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, there is still a problem. When I select the range of cells. the first
one selected becomes active so if I say ignore the error and continue, it
populates the active cell with the name "Tony" still. What can I do?

Gary Keramidas wrote:
try adding this as the first line and see if it helps

On Error Resume Next

I am trying to use selection.find for a word that may or may not be in the
specified search. My problem is that when I do the selection find and it

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
NOT
find the word "Alternate". How can I write the code so it will work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, there is still a problem. When I select the range of cells. the first
one selected becomes active so if I say ignore the error and continue, it
populates the active cell with the name "Tony" still. What can I do now?

Gary Keramidas wrote:
try adding this as the first line and see if it helps

On Error Resume Next

I am trying to use selection.find for a word that may or may not be in the
specified search. My problem is that when I do the selection find and it

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
NOT
find the word "Alternate". How can I write the code so it will work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can use a variable to represent that Found cell.

Dim FoundCell as range

set foundcell = Selection.Find(What:="Alternate", After:=ActiveCell, _
LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False)

if foundcell is nothing then
'do nothing???
else
foundcell.value = "Tony"
end if

"Erik K via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

I am trying to use selection.find for a word that may or may not be in the
specified search. My problem is that when I do the selection find and it
doesn't find the word, the macro stops and prompts me to debug with the
following message:

Object variable or With Block variable not set.

Here is where the bug is located:

Range("V38,V45,V52,V58,V65,V72,V78,V84").Select
If Range("AG21").Value = "N" And ActiveCell < "Tony" Then
Selection.Find(What:="Alternate", After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:
=xlFormulas, _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Tony"
End If

Now I think the problem is that it can't Activate a cell because it did NOT
find the word "Alternate". How can I write the code so it will work?

Dave Peterson