Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default URGENT -- search in string for a value in another column, if found, return value from next column

Hello ALL!

Need an urgent help on this! I am not an excel pro, however can do a
bit of troubleshooting if being helped.

I have 2 different worksheets..# 1 and # 2...I want to search each cell
from column A, worksheet#1 and see if it has any value from column A,
worksheet#2. Each cell in Column A, worksheet#1 has strings and not one
word values. So basically I want to search these strings to see if
those have any word that is also in column A, worksheet # 2. If it
finds one, then returns respective value form column B, worksheet #2 to
respective column B, worksheet # 1..I used this code on B1 cell,
however to make it worked, column A-worksheet#1 has to have single word
values and not strings I believe:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,'worksheet2'!A:B,2,FALSE)),"No t
Found",VLOOKUP(A1,'worksheet2'!A:B,2,FALSE))

Please correct me if I am going in different path...Again, I am not an
Excel PRO but need to make this worked...Any help is appreciated..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP("*"&A1&"*",'worksheet2'!A:B,2,FAL SE)),"Not
Found",VLOOKUP("*"&A1&"*",'worksheet2'!A:B,2,FALSE ))

seems to work.

Tom Ogilvy

"samkshah" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you very much Tom for prompt reply. I wonder if I am doing it
wrong or was unable to explain my problem correctly. I changed the code
as you mentioned, however it still doesn't work...Let me explain my
problem again:

worksheet1:

ColumnA

I want to search this string and see if it has any word that belongs to
columnA in worksheet2

Worksheet2:

ColumnA ColumnB

search return
word this
manager value
temp in
template other
other worksheet

As we see, word "Search" in column A, worksheet2 is in the given string
in worksheet1...so I need word "return" from column B of worksheet2 in
column B of worksheet1...if columnA, worksheet2 doesn't have any of the
words from that string, then return "not found"

Again I appreciate your prompt response.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I doubt there is a simple formula that will work for that. You would first
need to parse out all the individual words in the string and then search the
second sheet.

Tom Ogilvy

"samkshah" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom:

Many thanks. I will do that way and will get back to you if I have any
other problems.

Regards
----