Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Extract data from an old Quattro file

Is there any way to extract data (not equations) from an old Quattro (version
1.01 for DOS) file to either an excel or a csv text file? I have the original
Quattro program disks, so I can *look* at the file, but I can't fild a way to
get the data *out*. I have Quattro 8, Excel 98, and Excel 2000. None can open
the file. If I remember correctly, Quattro 6 could open the old DOS files, but
my copy of Q6 is long gone.

Chuck

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 10:18:09 -0400, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Does your program allow you to save it as a Lotus WKS file. Excel should be
able to read that.

Yes, Quattro v1 does allow this. But it isn't readily obvious. Save As or
Translate is not in any of the drop down menues. I still have the original
Quattro manual. Are you old enough to remember when printed manuals came with
the software? Anyhow, the manual describes how to translate to: Paradox,
dBase II, dBase III, Symphony, Lotus 1-2-3 (versions 1A, 2, and Educational),
and Reflex. That is a lot of capability for an old DOS program. WKS is the
extension for Lotus 1-2-3 version 1A. I copied (did not install) the original
Quattro program files to an extended disk partition and ran it from there. The
files translated correctly and could be opened in Excel 97. When I ran
Quattro, there was a lot of hard drive activity. I now have 25 to 30 entries
in the registry for Quattro. Does the registry serve any truly useful purpose?
It seems to me that many computer problems originate with "bad" registry
entries.

Chuck

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 10:18:09 -0400, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Does your program allow you to save it as a Lotus WKS file. Excel should be
able to read that.

Yes, Thank you for your reply.

Chuck
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you old enough to remember when printed manuals came with
the software?

I have a basement full of them.

The registry largely replaced the old System.ini and Win.ini files.
If it created a single key with many sub keys, I woudn't be real concerned.

If it created a bunch of duplicate keys, then that might be a concern.

Tom Ogilvy