Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Crossing Applications - Possible?

Hello, all.

I have a worksheet which has about 5300 rows containing information about
various products.

One of the columns contains hyperlinks for each product which link to an
inTERnet website giving more detail about each product.

I would like to know if it is possible to write a program which will go down
the worsheet row-by-row, open the hyperlink, copy the contents of the web
page into a WORD document, save the word document to a local file folder
(naming it as one of the other columns in the worksheet), close the word
document and then go to the next row and repeat (5300 times). Each word
document will be 3-4 pages long.

This program will involve crossing between Excel, Internet Explorer and
Word.

I'm pretty good with Excel VBA, but have never tried anything like this
before. I would like to know if any of you think it can be done, and if so,
how difficult would something like this be to pull off. Thoughts/opinions
(and hints!) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MARTY
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am sure it can be done and I don't think it will be that difficult.
The most difficult bit will be to pull the right information from the
webpages.
The Excel part and the Word part shouldn't be a problem.

RBS

"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the reply. On the issue of deciding what information to pull from
the web pages, I would be happy just to do an "Edit/Select All" then "Copy"
and then "Paste" into Word.

I'm not even sure where to start on this. A couple of questions come to
mind which might at least give me an idea on a starting point.

- Can I have the entire procedure in the Excel VBA editor, or will it
require creating scripts in Word or MSIE? (I don't know how to do the latter.)

- Where can I find the commands for opening or controlling other
applications (MSIE and Word) while in Excel?

Help is appreciated.

"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would do the whole thing in Excel VBA.
Excel can control Word with automation.
Plenty of examples/tutorials about this available.
Controlling MSIE is a bit more tricky, but with Shell and maybe the Windows
API it must be possible. In the very worse case you will need SendKeys.
I am sure a search on Google will get plenty of useful information.
Once you get stuck on a particular issue I am sure somebody on this forum
will help you out.

RBS

"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This looks like a good starting point to learn about controlling MSIE from
Excel:
http://www.dicks-blog.com/archives/2...rnet-explorer/

RBS

"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have you tried manually opening the webpages directly in Word and then just
saving the resulting document in word format?
Works for me in Word2002 and it may be the simplest approach to automate,
since you don't have to mess with IE at all.

Tim

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"Marty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Marty,
Must it be in Word ?
If not you could make a web query in Excel and save that.
Most direct route.

NickHK