Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to assign 2 letters to automatically input a sentence / excel

I'm using excel, 2000. I type large lists over and over, and I don't know if
this is possible, but like in AutoCad, you can define your own shortcuts.
Like instead of typing the command "trim", their is a special place you can
define your own, so I only have to type "tr" and it acts as if I've typed the
whole word.

I want to do the same thing in excel. I type mortgage records, and get paid
for how fast I type. Instead of entering in "Americas Wholesale Lender", I
want to just put in "am", and have "Americas Wholesale Lender" pop up in the
cell I am on. Or if it has to be a shortcut like Ctrl + am, I don't care.
Their are quite a few different names that start with "American" so I don't
want to have to keep typing the whole first name till the auto find, finally
kicks in on the 10th or 11th keystroke each time.
Some kind of short cut or hot key would same me so much time. I havent
found anything other than navigation hot keys in the help.

Please help, thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

sorry, hit enter too fast

try tools/options/spelling and click autocorrect options

in "replace" type am and in "with" type Americas Wholesale Lender

then enter am into a cell and hit enter

--

Gary

"LynnA" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can use the AutoCorrect feature to store shortcuts, and they'll be
available in other Office applications, such as Word.

To create a shortcut:

Choose ToolsAutoCorrect Options
In the Replace box, type a code, e.g.: amwh
In the With box, type the full text, e.g.:
American Wholesale Lender
Click OK (or click Add, to continue adding shortcuts)

To use the shortcut:
In a cell, type the shortcut, e.g. amwh
Press the Enter key, and the full text will appear in the cell
(or type a space character or punctuation mark in the cell)

LynnA wrote:
[...]

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thats just what I wanted! Thanks so much!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Obviously you have had an answer to your post, but I was wondering if the
following way would be anymore appropriate?!?!?!

If you were to create a macro, (if unsure how to do this, ask and I'll send
instructions) to add the "SampleTextSampleText" into the current cell.

then assign a ctrl + ????? to it, (? being replaced by a single character a
through z)

You could use this instead.

It may be better than creating an auto correct function, because if you ever
wanted to enter the information "am" to a workbook, it might correct it to
American.... without you wanting it to.

If you were to create a macro for each, very speedy and easy, you could tap
in Ctrl + D (just an example) and it would enter the word.

This would certainly get anoying if the autocorrect features (which I think
they do) apply to all office programs. So the changes would be made to
microsoft word etc.

Hope I've been a help

Wb if I've confused you, I've got a habbit of doing that.

Dan

--
iPod's ROCK!