Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Match cells by columns

I need COLUMN B to show what is in COLUMN D depending on what is in
COLUMN A with a formula:

(COLUMN A) (COLUMN B) (COLUMN C) (COLUMN
D)
A(BOX 1) C(HAMMER)
D(1234)
A(SCREWDRIVER) B(?) C(SCREWDRIVER)
D(4321)
A(HAMMER) B(?)

A(BOX 2)
A(HAMMER) B(?)
A(SCREWDRIVER) B(?)

--
Optitron
Optitron's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26729

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not enough information supplied to help you.

Post back with simplified examples.

A = ???, ???, ???
C = ???, ???, ???
D = ???, ???, ???
B should = ???, ???, ???

The above says that we have 3 different examples and 3 different results.

--
steveB

Remove "AYN" from email to respond
"Optitron" wrote in
message ...

I need COLUMN B to show what is in COLUMN D depending on what is in
COLUMN A with a formula:

(COLUMN A) (COLUMN B) (COLUMN C) (COLUMN
D)
A(BOX 1) C(HAMMER)
D(1234)
A(SCREWDRIVER) B(?) C(SCREWDRIVER)
D(4321)
A(HAMMER) B(?)

A(BOX 2)
A(HAMMER) B(?)
A(SCREWDRIVER) B(?)

--
Optitron
Optitron's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466531

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A = screwdriver, hammer
C = hammer, screwdriver
D = 1234, 4321
B should = 4321, 1234

This is how I have to copy it from a PDF file. First I have the tool
in column A by themselves with no numbers. Column C&D come from the PD
matched together. I need column D's number to match with column A's too
in column B

--
Optitro
Optitron's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2672

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry for the delay...

Thanks for the example - it really helps explain what you are looking for.

What you are describing is a situation where you have a list with a missing
parameter.
A second list details what the missing parameter should be for any item in
the first list.

The easiest solution is a lookup type function in column B.
[the following is my favorite]

But be aware that this function will fail if the entry in column A does not
exist in column C.

Change A6 to the row where you first put it. (so if you put it in B2, use
$A2)
than fill it down as far as you need it.

=INDEX($D:$D,MATCH($A6,$C:$C,0),1)

You can do this in code. Post back if you need code.

And also let us know how this works for you...

keep on Exceling...

--
steveB

Remove "AYN" from email to respond
"Optitron" wrote in
message ...

A = screwdriver, hammer
C = hammer, screwdriver
D = 1234, 4321
B should = 4321, 1234

This is how I have to copy it from a PDF file. First I have the tools
in column A by themselves with no numbers. Column C&D come from the PDF
matched together. I need column D's number to match with column A's tool
in column B.

--
Optitron
Optitron's Profile:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ah very nice. I was using a Lookup formula =LOOKUP(A1,C:C,D:D) but i
had to be alphabetized. Thank you

--
Optitro
Optitron's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2672
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46653

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Glad you like this formula.

It has been a favorite of mine for many years...

Just remember that it will fail if the item isn't in the lookup list...l

--
steveB

Remove "AYN" from email to respond
"Optitron" wrote in
message ...

Ah very nice. I was using a Lookup formula =LOOKUP(A1,C:C,D:D) but it