Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Inputbox question

When using an inputbox, how do you keep it from generating an error i
the user clicks cancel? I want them to be able to cancel it, just no
have to think about whether they should end or debug.

So far I've had no luck with things such as

if VBcancel then end
elseif

because that cuts my program short. What is the trick

--
wilro8
wilro85's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2693

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Wilro85,

Try something like:

'=====================
Public Sub TesterX()
Dim sStr As String

sStr = InputBox(Prompt:="Please type your name", _
Title:="InputBox Demo")
If StrPtr(sStr) = 0 Then
MsgBox "You pressed Cancel"
Else
If Len(sStr) = 0 Then
MsgBox "OK was pressed but no entry was made."
Else
MsgBox "Your entry was: " & sStr
'<<=====================

---
Regards,
Norman

"wilro85" wrote in
message ...

When using an inputbox, how do you keep it from generating an error if
the user clicks cancel? I want them to be able to cancel it, just not
have to think about whether they should end or debug.

So far I've had no luck with things such as

if VBcancel then end
elseif

because that cuts my program short. What is the trick?

--
wilro85
wilro85's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466059

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Two possible approachs:

1) If you want them to explicitly specify that they want to cancel:

Do While strTemp = ""
strTemp = InputBox("Enter a value or CANCEL to Abort...",
"MyCaption", "MyDefault")
Loop

Select Case uCase(Trim(strTemp))
Case "CANCEL"
Exit Sub
Case Else
' Do something else
End Select

2): If you don't want to be that demanding (and relying on fact that the
InputBox returns an empty string if nothing is input):

strTemp = InputBox("Enter a value or CANCEL to Abort...", "MyCaption",
"MyDefault")

Select Case uCase(Trim(strTemp))
Case "CANCEL", ""
Exit Sub
Case Else
' Do something else
End Select

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"wilro85" wrote in
message ...

When using an inputbox, how do you keep it from generating an error if
the user clicks cancel? I want them to be able to cancel it, just not
have to think about whether they should end or debug.

So far I've had no luck with things such as

if VBcancel then end
elseif

because that cuts my program short. What is the trick?

--
wilro85
wilro85's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466059

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Norman, this works pefectly.
What is strPtr? I pressed F1 and got "no help available".
Art

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi Wilro85,

Try something like:

'=====================
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

StrPtr is an undocumented function that returns the memory
address of a string variable. Similar undocumented functions
include VarPtr (for any type of variable) and ObjPtr (for object
variables).

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"ArthurJ" wrote in message
Norman, this works pefectly.
What is strPtr? I pressed F1 and got "no help available".
Art

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi Wilro85,

Try something like:

'=====================
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Art,

What is strPtr? I pressed F1 and got "no help available".

See Karl Peterson's site:

http://vb.mvps.org/tips/varptr.asp

---
Regards,
Norman

"ArthurJ" wrote in message
Norman, this works pefectly.
What is strPtr? I pressed F1 and got "no help available".
Art

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi Wilro85,

Try something like: