Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Character Limit

I have a problem with a previously developed worksheet.

Some fields seem to have a 255 character limit. If you enter 255 then all
you get is a display of hashes eg: ###############################.

Why is there a 255 character limit on my cell? and any ideas how to remove it?

Changing the formatting of the cell does not alter the 255 character limit.
Whether formatted as general or text, there is still a 255 character limit
applied.

Any help is appreciated.

--
I may not know VBA inside out, but from the outside I am looking in.
Dylan Moran - Melbourne Australia
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What version of excel are you using?

xl95 had a maximum of 255 characters per cell.

xl97+ has a maximium of almost 32k characters per cell.

But if the cell is formatted as text, then excel has trouble with strings
between 255 and 1024 characters.

But if you format the cell as General, it should display normally. (I've never
seen it fail--so I'd suggest trying it once more.)

Dylan Moran wrote:

I have a problem with a previously developed worksheet.

Some fields seem to have a 255 character limit. If you enter 255 then all
you get is a display of hashes eg: ###############################.

Why is there a 255 character limit on my cell? and any ideas how to remove it?

Changing the formatting of the cell does not alter the 255 character limit.
Whether formatted as general or text, there is still a 255 character limit
applied.

Any help is appreciated.

--
I may not know VBA inside out, but from the outside I am looking in.
Dylan Moran - Melbourne Australia

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excel 2002. It is formatted as General. I noted you 255 - 1024 comment and
did some testing.

It seems to have trouble with 256-1010 characters.
Anything either side is ok.