Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBE causes excel and word to crash when closed

As of recently my word and excel consistently crash on close. If I open
excel or word without opening the VBE the procrams close fine. If I had
the VBE active, however, I get something like "instruction .....
referenced at memory .... could not be read".

This happens even when I do no editing whatsoever, just start excel
press Alt-F11, close VBE (no problem), save workbook (no problem), close
excel and than the error appears. Every thing seems OK except that
changes made to options et cetra are not saved.

What could be the problem??

Office 2000, Win2k, Panda daily updated automatically and virus check
OK, MS Antispyware active and OK, no add-inns loaded, no special startup
files.

Thanks for the help,
Janwillem
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No idea...

But I think I'd try eliminating stuff and see if it helped.

If it's easy to temporarily turn off your antivirus program, start there. (Same
with the antilspyware stuff.)

I think each program in office 2k has Help|detect and repair. I'd try that.

Maybe reinstalling Office??

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have you recently updated your video drivers? I had some very
strange problems with the VBE window after I updated some Matrox
drivers. I rolled them back and the problems went away.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Janwillem van Dijk" wrote in message
l...
As of recently my word and excel consistently crash on close.
If I open excel or word without opening the VBE the procrams
close fine. If I had the VBE active, however, I get something
like "instruction ..... referenced at memory .... could not be
read".

This happens even when I do no editing whatsoever, just start
excel press Alt-F11, close VBE (no problem), save workbook (no
problem), close excel and than the error appears. Every thing
seems OK except that changes made to options et cetra are not
saved.

What could be the problem??

Office 2000, Win2k, Panda daily updated automatically and virus
check OK, MS Antispyware active and OK, no add-inns loaded, no
special startup files.

Thanks for the help,
Janwillem

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the useful tips.
I think I found it. After removing Adobe PDFWriter and its office
macro's the problem disappeared. Probably one of these automatic updates
by Adobe has introduced the problem a week ago. Now Excel starts up in a
quarter of the time and shuts down in a tenth of what it used to do.
PDFCreator is nicer anyway without all the macro klimbim. So I am
happily waiting for the next mysterious problem.