Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Automatically duplicating and updating info

I have a workbook that will have lots of worksheets in it. I want to be
able to use one worksheet from the workbook to be able to update columns
and rows of the other worksheets in the workbook.

example of master worksheet:

store 1 store 2 store 3 store 4 store 5 warehouse 1 warehouse
2 warehouse 3 warehouse 4
apples 5 5 8 2 9 2 3 7 2
oranges 5 3 6 2 4 2 6 8 2
bananas 5 6 2 5 1 7 2
cherries 5 3 8 2 9 2 1 5 1
peach 8 3 4 2 1 6 21
plum 7 5 8

Now I want to be able to put all my data into this.

And I want to that data to be able to copy over into a worksheet that
has a corresponding name (apples, oranges,etc.)

example of coresponding worksheet:

Apples

store1 5
store2 5
store3 8
store4 2
store5 9
warehouse1 2
warehouse2 3
warehouse3 7
warehouse4 2

I want this data to update as it is being typed in the first worksheet.

--
oberon.black
oberon.black's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26732

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Oberon,

You probably don't want to hear this, but I want to put it forth anyway.
What you're doing is called redundant data in database circles. It can get
hard to manage, and uses more space to store. If you can find a way to keep
a single copy of each record, and keep the data together where possible,
then pull out what you need as you need it, you'll likely find life easier
as you develop this project. When you need a duplicate copy of a subset of
your data, it's best to pull it from your main table(s), rather than
maintain multiple copies from the outset.

This may be partly helpful: Read "data across multiple sheets" at
www.smokeylake.com/excel/excel_truths.htm. It doesn't exactly address your
situation, but may still be helpful if you decide to change your model.

Also, the little red light has lit, the one that makes me suspect this is a
project for Access, rather than Excel.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com