Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default More Listbox help..

I'm wondering how I can Check for duplicates in a listbox. The listbo
is filled with values from a combobox and has numbers 1000 -8000.
need to say ok, You've already entered a value for 1000 please chec
the posting code and try again.

I was trying something like

Code
-------------------
if userform2.listbox1.value = userform2.combobox1.value then
msgbox "im sorry you've entered duplicate charges"
else
with userform2.listbox1
.additem userform2.combobox1.value
end wit
-------------------

Its a little more complicated then that but this is just a relativ
idea of what im trying to do.

Thanks in advance...
Chris :cool

--
justchri
justchris's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=889

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You either have to loop through every item checking to see whether it is
used in the combo, or if the combo is linked to a worksheet range, you could
use MATCH to check it

If Not Iserror(application.match(userform2.listbox1.value , range("A1:A20"))
then
msgbox "im sorry you've entered duplicate charges"
etc.

--

HTH

RP

"justchris" wrote
in message ...

I'm wondering how I can Check for duplicates in a listbox. The listbox
is filled with values from a combobox and has numbers 1000 -8000. I
need to say ok, You've already entered a value for 1000 please check

--------------------
if userform2.listbox1.value = userform2.combobox1.value then
msgbox "im sorry you've entered duplicate charges"
else
with userform2.listbox1
.additem userform2.combobox1.value
end with
--------------------

Its a little more complicated then that but this is just a relative
idea of what im trying to do.

Thanks in advance...
Chris

--
justchris
justchris's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401393

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I like to use a scriting dictionayr for this. set a refetence to MS scripting
runtime.
A dictionary is like a collection, but has more features and especially an
Exists method that is useful for checking if a 'key'already exists.

so
DIM dic as Scripting.Dictionary

SET dic = New Scripting.Dictionary

for eact item in loadlist
IF NOT dic.Exists(item) THEN
dic.Add item, item
listbox1.Add item
END IF
Next

the same check can be used to check when a user tries to ad an item...

IF dic.Exists(item) THEN
msgbox "This item already exists in the list",,item
ELSE
dic.Add item, item
listbox1.Add item
END IF

HTH

"justchris" wrote:

[...]

justchris's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=8894
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401393

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Patrick,

An IfExists function for a collection

'--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Public Function ExistsInCollection(col As Collection, ByVal sKey As String)
'--------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Error Goto NoSuchKey
If VarType(col.Item(sKey)) = vbObject Then
' force an error condition if key does not exist
End If
ExistsInCollection = True
Exit Function

NoSuchKey: