Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how can hide and show columns using macro?

How can I unhide hidden columns and then hide them again by macro? suppose
that I have a workbook made of 10 columns. colum 3,4 and 5 are hidden by
default. I want to unhide these hidden columns when I type word "AB" in any
cell in colum Number 1. and then by pressing enter I want to hide these
columns again. is this possible using macro?

Many thanks
Hoshyar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Many thanks for you answer Tom. But isn't it possible to unhide the hidden
columns by typing a word in another column?
In fact, once I did it with help of a freind, but I lost this workbook, and
now I am trying to do it again.

your answer is appreciated
Hoshyar

"Hoshyar" wrote in message
How can I unhide hidden columns and then hide them again by macro? suppose
that I have a workbook made of 10 columns. colum 3,4 and 5 are hidden by
default. I want to unhide these hidden columns when I type word "AB" in

any
cell in colum Number 1. and then by pressing enter I want to hide these
columns again. is this possible using macro?

Many thanks
Hoshyar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Hoshyar

It is not possible to undide and then hide the column while you are editing
the cell. However, if you are wanting to toggle the unhide/hide each time you
type AB in column A you can achieve this with a change event macro:

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Column = 1 And Target.Count = 1 Then
If Target.Value = "AB" Then
If Columns("C:E").Hidden Then
Columns("C:E").Hidden = False
Else
Columns("C:E").Hidden = True
ErrorHandler:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

This is worksheet event code. Right click the sheet tab, select view code
and paste the code in there.

As Tom has said this will not run while you are editing the cell but rather
once the change is made. So each time you type AB in column A, columns C:E
will be hidden/unhidden.

Hope this helps
Rowan

"Hoshyar" wrote in message
How can I unhide hidden columns and then hide them again by macro? suppose
that I have a workbook made of 10 columns. colum 3,4 and 5 are hidden by
default. I want to unhide these hidden columns when I type word "AB" in

any
cell in colum Number 1. and then by pressing enter I want to hide these
columns again. is this possible using macro?

Many thanks
Hoshyar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rowan,

If Columns("C:E").Hidden Then
Columns("C:E").Hidden = False
Else
Columns("C:E").Hidden = True
End If

could also be expressed as:

Columns("C:E").Hidden = Not Columns("C:E").Hidden

---
Regards,
Norman

"Hoshyar" wrote in message
How can I unhide hidden columns and then hide them again by macro?
suppose
that I have a workbook made of 10 columns. colum 3,4 and 5 are hidden
by
default. I want to unhide these hidden columns when I type word "AB"
in
any
cell in colum Number 1. and then by pressing enter I want to hide
these
columns again. is this possible using macro?

Many thanks
Hoshyar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Norman

I knew there was a better way but my brain stopped working and totally
forgot about "Not" in relation to boolean values. <g

Regards
Rowan

"Hoshyar" wrote in message
How can I unhide hidden columns and then hide them again by macro?
suppose
that I have a workbook made of 10 columns. colum 3,4 and 5 are hidden
by
default. I want to unhide these hidden columns when I type word "AB"
in
any
cell in colum Number 1. and then by pressing enter I want to hide
these
columns again. is this possible using macro?

Many thanks
Hoshyar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rowan and Norman,

Your help is much appreciated. However, I am not a programmer, I am an
accountant, I therefore appreciate I can get contact with one of you by email
and would like to send you my spread sheet to handle this.
I am aware that macro doesnt work while editing a cell. What I mean is when
I type AB in column "A" and then press enter Column B and C should open. When
Column B and C are open I would like to to add information in them. then
after moving to column E, I would like column B and C be hidden again.

I hope this can work.
Many thanks.
My email is