Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default worksheet functions change to values? Formula are text?

When I insert a function (Concatenate) into a cell I get the value I want
but the function goes away and all I have is the value. (ie won't udate)

Also when I type a simple formula like =$e$25 that is exactly what is
displayed in the cell.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

thanks
Christy ;)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It sounds like the second problem is caused by the cell formatted as text.
Change it to general (or whatever you want), then select the cell and reenter
the formula to fix it.

If the formula bar actually shows the results of the formula, then maybe you
have an event macro that's converting formulas to values.

If someone else designed the workbook, show them the problem.

If you did this, rightclick on the worksheet tab, choose view code and look for
any code. If you don't find the culprit, look under ThisWorkbook, too.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dave,
Thanks so much for the help. I designed the workbook so it is all on me.

1st problem - I have the cell as the the ControlSource for a textbox. Would
that convert a formula to a value?

2nd problem - same thing, the cells are the ControlSource for a textbox.
Cell fromatting is not the problem. I can enter =B104 and it works but if
I go back and change it to =$B$104 then I get exactly in the cell.

Chritsy ;)

Christy wrote:

When I insert a function (Concatenate) into a cell I get the value I want
but the function goes away and all I have is the value. (ie won't udate)

Also when I type a simple formula like =$e$25 that is exactly what is
displayed in the cell.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

thanks
Christy ;)

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

#1. It sure looks like that's the problem to me.

#2. Take a look at B104. I bet that cell is text.

Saved from a previous post...

Excel likes to help.

Try this on a test worksheet.
Select A1 and hit ctrl-; (to put the date in the cell)
now select B1 and type: =a1

Notice that excel changed the format of B1 to match the format in A1.

Now format D1 as Text.
put ASDF in D1
put =D1 in E1
You see ASDF.

With E1 selected, hit the F2 key and then enter (to pretend that you're changing
the formula).

Excel has "helped" you by changing that cell's format to text.

I don't know of any way of changing this behavior.

I just select the cell, and reformat it to General (or whatever I wanted). I
hit F2 and then enter (to reenter that formula).

Sometimes this feature is nice, sometimes it ain't.