Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Digital Certificates

Excel Experts:

I recently started work at a medium sized firm. I have a few projects to
automate spreadsheets that will be used by myself and also other users.

I recently added some VBA code to a spreadsheet, but when another user
opened the spreadsheet, she wasn't able to use the macros.

This is my first situation using Excel 2003 and from searching around Help,
it seems I need to sign my macros with a digital signature in order for other
people to use them.

What is the best way for me to go about making it possible for others to use
files with VBA code I've written and for the others to be able to run the
macros. My firm doesn't want to spend money to get certificates from
Verisign or anything like that, and I don't think that's necessary anyway.

Do I just create my own digital certificate and then have the other users
add me as a trusted provider?

Thanks, Alan
--
achidsey
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

They can set protection to medium instead of high and then they can use them
if they don't disable macros when prompted. It they must remain at high,
then non certified workbooks have their macros disabled silently (without
prompt).

You might use selfcert. See information in the articles below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../odc_dsvba.asp
Code Signing Office XP Visual Basic for Applications Macro Projects

XL2002: About Digital Signatures in Excel Workbooks

http://support.microsoft.com/?KBID=206637
OFF2000: Overview of Digital Certificates (Q206637)

http://support.microsoft.com/?KBID=217221
OFF2000: Using SelfCert to Create a Digital Certificate for VBA Projects
(Q217221)

An Overview:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tml/combat.asp

Another reference:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...vbaproject.asp

OFFXP: How to Make Sure That Your Office Document Has a Valid Digital
Signature

http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...ustworthy.aspx
How to Tell if Digital Certificate Is Trustworthy in Office XP

Tom Ogilvy