Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Workbooks.OpenText StartRow:=2 Not Skipping Row 1

The following macro imports the .csv file starting at row 1 of the file:

Sub OpenCSV()
Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="C:\Categories.csv", StartRow:=2,
DataType:=xlDelimited, Origin:=437, _
TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, _
ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=True

ActiveWorkbook.Activate
ActiveWindow.Visible = True
End Sub

Where Categories.csv contains:

CategoryID,CategoryName,Description
CategoryID,CategoryName,Description
1,Beverages,"Soft drinks, coffees, teas, beers, and ales"
2,Condiments,"Sweet and savory sauces, relishes, spreads, and seasonings"
3,Confections,"Desserts, candies, and sweet breads"
4,Dairy Products,Cheeses
5,Grains/Cereals,"Breads, crackers, pasta, and cereal"
6,Meat/Poultry,Prepared meats
7,Produce,Dried fruit and bean curd
8,Seafood,Seaweed and fish

Please help me understand why this happens (Excel 2003).
--
John Saunders
johnwsaunders at hotmail.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When you use your code with a CSV file it basically opens the CSV file, as
opposed to importing its data. Someone else may know why.

you can definitely see an Excel native analogy by coosing Open from the File
Menu for both a CSV file and then again for a .TXT file. One step launches
the import wizard (Text File) and one does not (CSV file).

What you CAN do, which mimics the functionality of choosing Data--Import
External Data, is code like the below:

Sub OpenCSV()
With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
"TEXT;C:\Categories.csv", _
Destination:=Range("A1"))
.TextFilePlatform = 437
.TextFileStartRow = 2
.TextFileParseType = xlDelimited
.TextFileTextQualifier = xlTextQualifierDoubleQuote
.TextFileCommaDelimiter = True
.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False

''''I see no value to these lines but I may be missing something
ActiveWorkbook.Activate
ActiveWindow.Visible = True
''''

''''THESE OTHER PROPERTIES SEEM TO BE OPTIONAL IN THIS CASE
' .Name = "MyFile"
' .FieldNames = True
' .RowNumbers = False
' .FillAdjacentFormulas = False
' .PreserveFormatting = True
' .RefreshOnFileOpen = False
' .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
' .SavePassword = False
' .SaveData = True
' .AdjustColumnWidth = True
' .RefreshPeriod = 0
' .TextFilePromptOnRefresh = False
' .TextFileConsecutiveDelimiter = False
' .TextFileTabDelimiter = False
' .TextFileSemicolonDelimiter = False
' .TextFileSpaceDelimiter = False
' .TextFileColumnDataTypes = Array(1, 1, 1)
' .TextFileTrailingMinusNumbers = True

End With
End Sub

johnwsaunders at hotmail.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, William, I'll give that a try.

The extra lines were in the context of the macro, and were meant to make the
new workbook visible so I could see that the OpenText had failed! :-)
--
John Saunders
johnwsaunders at hotmail.com