Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default HELP! Problem with combinations

Hi all,

i have a problem that goes like this;

Q = Q1 + Q2 + Q3, where Q is constant

Q1 is between 1 and 2. Q2 is between 1.5 and 5. Q3 is between 2 and 4.
All values at Intervals of 0.1 (ie. Q1 = 1, 1.1, 1.2, ... 2)

i need to generate all combinations of values of Q1, Q2 and Q3 such
that the above relationship is satisfied.

Are that any kind souls that can help me with this?
Thanks in advance !!!
:)

--
highjumper
highjumper's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26516

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub AAA()
Dim i As Double, j As Double, k As Double
Dim l As Long
i = 1
j = 1.5
k = 2
l = 2
Do While Application.Round(i, 1) <= 2
Do While Application.Round(j, 1) <= 5
Do While Application.Round(k, 1) <= 4
Cells(l, 1) = i
Cells(l, 2) = j
Cells(l, 3) = k
Cells(l, 4) = i + j + k
Debug.Print l, i, j, k, i + j + k
k = k + 0.1
l = l + 1
Loop
k = 2
j = j + 0.1
Loop
j = 1.5
i = i + 0.1
Loop

Tom Ogilvy

"highjumper" wrote
in message ...

Hi all,

i have a problem that goes like this;

Q = Q1 + Q2 + Q3, where Q is constant

Q1 is between 1 and 2. Q2 is between 1.5 and 5. Q3 is between 2 and 4.
All values at Intervals of 0.1 (ie. Q1 = 1, 1.1, 1.2, ... 2)

i need to generate all combinations of values of Q1, Q2 and Q3 such
that the above relationship is satisfied.

Are that any kind souls that can help me with this?
Thanks in advance !!!
:)

--
highjumper
highjumper's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397849

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks a million man! :

--
highjumpe
highjumper's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2651

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I think you misunderstood the question ...

Q is supposed to be a constant - meaning if i set Q as 6, i a
generating all combinations of values of Q1, Q2, Q3 that satisfy 6 = Q
+ Q2 + Q3.

Many thanks for your effort! I really appreciate it! :)

Tom Ogilvy Wrote:
[...]

View this thread

highjumpe
highjumper's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2651
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39784

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Anybody? Please help ... :

--
highjumpe
highjumper's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2651
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39784

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub AAA()
Dim i As Double, j As Double, k As Double
Dim l As Long, Q As Double
Q = 6
i = 1
j = 1.5
k = 2
l = 2
Do While Application.Round(i, 1) <= 2
Do While Application.Round(j, 1) <= 5
Do While Application.Round(k, 1) <= 4
If Application.Round(i + j + k, 1) = Q Then
Cells(l, 1) = i
Cells(l, 2) = j
Cells(l, 3) = k
Cells(l, 4) = i + j + k
l = l + 1
End If
k = k + 0.1
Loop
k = 2
j = j + 0.1
Loop
j = 1.5
i = i + 0.1
Loop

Tom Ogilvy

"highjumper" wrote
in message ...

Anybody? Please help ... :)

--
highjumper
highjumper's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397849

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

So sorry for not making it clear enough.

1) My actual code will have all the way til Q10. Hence the time taken
for running the code will be too long. Thus, it will be ideal if only
the relevant combinations (those that satisfy the equation) are
generated, instead of ignoring those irrelevant ones after generation.

2) This code is actually not meant to write to worksheet. It forms part
of the code for a larger code that will make further calculations and
stuff.

It is a program to churn out an ideal solution for an engineering
problem as part of my final year project in my undergraduate studies.

Gazillion thanks for your attention and help!

Warmest Regards,
Kenneth