Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default variable help....

I have two sub routines, the first one does exactly what I want. If th
checkbox on the user form is checked, then the corresponding rectangl
is filled in on the worksheet. If I uncheck the check box, then th
corrsponding rectangle is unfilled for lack of a better term.

Sub CheckBox368_Click()
i = 368
If CheckBox368 = True Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 8
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoTrue
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Solid
End If
If CheckBox368 = False Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoFalse

Problem is I want the checkbox to use the variable ' i ' like th
rectangle entry does, but when I change the code it always acts upo
only the true portion whether I have the check box checked or not. S
even if the check box is unchecked or false so to speak it sees it act
as if it is true in this sub.

Sub CheckBox368_Click()
i = 368
If ("CheckBox" & i) = True Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 8
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoTrue
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Solid
End If
If ("CheckBox" & i) = False Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoFalse

I am sure it is just a syntex type issue but do not understand why i
never sees the check box as false if I unselect it like it does in th
first sub.

Thanks,
Larr

--
ltyso
ltyson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=276

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

--

HTH

RP

"ltyson" wrote in
message ...

I have two sub routines, the first one does exactly what I want. If the
checkbox on the user form is checked, then the corresponding rectangle
is filled in on the worksheet. If I uncheck the check box, then the
corrsponding rectangle is unfilled for lack of a better term.

Sub CheckBox368_Click()
i = 368
If CheckBox368 = True Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 8
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoTrue
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Solid
End If
If CheckBox368 = False Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoFalse

Problem is I want the checkbox to use the variable ' i ' like the
rectangle entry does, but when I change the code it always acts upon
only the true portion whether I have the check box checked or not. So
even if the check box is unchecked or false so to speak it sees it acts
as if it is true in this sub.

Sub CheckBox368_Click()
i = 368
If ("CheckBox" & i) = True Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 8
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoTrue
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Solid
End If
If ("CheckBox" & i) = False Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoFalse

I am sure it is just a syntex type issue but do not understand why it
never sees the check box as false if I unselect it like it does in the
first sub.

Thanks,
Larry

--
ltyson
ltyson's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397581

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This should show you the syntax that you need

If Me.Controls("CheckBox" & i) Then
MsgBox "Checked"
Else
MsgBox "Unchecked"

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob thank you. The one word 'controls' was the missing peice. This ne
code pasted below now works perfect:

Sub CheckBox359_Click()
i = 359
If Controls("CheckBox" & i) = True Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 8
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoTrue
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Solid
End If
If Controls("CheckBox" & i) = False Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoFalse

It is odd to me why i have to use:

If Controls("CheckBox" & i) = True Then

if I use the variable but:

if Checkbox359 = True Then

works fine if I don't use the variable. Looks like I have mor
learning to do. :)

Thanks for your help,

Larr

--
ltyso
ltyson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=276
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39758

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are dealing with objects here, it just doesn't wotk that you can refer
to them partially and with variables.

You also missed soomething else I added in the code, albeiet I was not
explicit, so compare this code to yours

Sub CheckBox359_Click()
i = 359
If Controls("CheckBox" & i) Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 8
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoTrue
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Solid
Else
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoFalse

or even

Sub CheckBox359_Click()
i = 359
If Controls("CheckBox" & i) Then
With Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i) _
.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 8
.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoTrue
.ShapeRange.Fill.Solid
End With
Else
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i) _
.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoFalse

HTH

RP

"ltyson" wrote in
message ...

Bob thank you. The one word 'controls' was the missing peice. This new
code pasted below now works perfect:

Sub CheckBox359_Click()
i = 359
If Controls("CheckBox" & i) = True Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 8
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoTrue
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Solid
End If
If Controls("CheckBox" & i) = False Then
Sheets("Order_Entry").Shapes("Rectangle " & i).Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.Visible = msoFalse

It is odd to me why i have to use:

If Controls("CheckBox" & i) = True Then

if I use the variable but:

if Checkbox359 = True Then

works fine if I don't use the variable. Looks like I have more
learning to do. :)

Thanks for your help,

Larry