Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Magnificent Problem

Please clarify the following

orients the polygon according to a selected side
You want to plot the polygon along x axis, or y axis, or ???

unit width
1 unit measurement or equal arbitrary units ?

plotting the resulting polygons
user selectively pick any of them to plot individually;
or plot them side by side as if sliced cake please?

Regards
PY & Associates

"Cody" wrote in message
I am trying to create code that takes a set of coordinates as corners of a
polygon, orients the polygon according to a selected side, and divides the
polygon into polygons of a unit width. The output would be the set of

values
of the corners of the resulting polygons for the purpose of plotting the
resulting polygons.

Please help me get control of this beast!!!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Let the polygon have n sides
it has n corners

let the user pick any of the sides s
its starting point is s
its ending point is s+1

set y=0 to all corners of the polygon
get vertical distances between every pair of corners

let user set the slicing measurement, m
starting from s through n to s+1
drawing lines y=s(y)+m to cut across every sides in its path [any side can
zigzag up and down, or left and right]
tabulate all intersected point coordinates SIDE by SIDE
run across the table row by row, join the points pair by pair [ 1 and 2, but
not 2 and 3, then 3 and 4]

we need to set limits of starting point and ending point of each of these
procedure appropriately.
Good exercise for the mind.

--
Regards
PY & Associates

"Cody" wrote in message
I am trying to create code that takes a set of coordinates as corners of

polygon, orients the polygon according to a selected side, and divides

the
polygon into polygons of a unit width. The output would be the set of

values
of the corners of the resulting polygons for the purpose of plotting the
resulting polygons.

Please help me get control of this beast!!!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I want slices at x= 1*unit, x=2*unit, etc until shape is completely sliced.
Something like slicing a loaf of bread. I will only be plotting unique
shapes and summing the quantities of repeats.

"Cody" wrote in message
I am trying to create code that takes a set of coordinates as corners of a
polygon, orients the polygon according to a selected side, and divides the
polygon into polygons of a unit width. The output would be the set of

values
of the corners of the resulting polygons for the purpose of plotting the
resulting polygons.

Please help me get control of this beast!!!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In my earlier steps to solve the problem, I made a mistake in setting y=0.
I should have set x=0 to get the vertical distances (y).

If you want to slice vertically, you interchange to get horizontal distances
(x) of the corners and get the intersections with lines of constant x. The
principle is the same.

Good exercise.

Regards
PY & Associates

"Cody" wrote in message
I am trying to create code that takes a set of coordinates as corners of

polygon, orients the polygon according to a selected side, and divides

the
polygon into polygons of a unit width. The output would be the set of
values
of the corners of the resulting polygons for the purpose of plotting the
resulting polygons.

Please help me get control of this beast!!!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I do not know why that I cannot retrieve the last three messages with
my home computer. Wish to add that you can make the problem simpler if
you transform the axes so that the side you choose, lines up with the Y
axis.

Regards
PY & Associates

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

We did the rotation of axes and foresee no problem in the getting the
resulting coordinates. One big problem is Excel plotting axes are not uniform
in scale making the plotting distorted.

"Cody" wrote:

Thank you for your help.