Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Returning Array ...

Hi,

I have a user defined function in an xll add-in that is returning an
array.
But the dimensions of the array returned can differ from call to call.

Is there a way to produce this scenario with Excel C API.

* the user select a single cell
* the user enter a function name and args
* the user press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
* the user defined function returns and array of x by y and the user
can see
it

p.s. Then only way I can output an array is by selecting many cells and

entering the formula, but I can't select the right number of cells
because I
don't know the size of the array that is returned.

p.s.2 By the way, is there any available doc on Excel C API (I want to
have more information on Excel Command such as "xlcCalculateDocument"
or ''xlcFormulaArray". Any references?

Thanks

Nic

--
nicgendron
nicgendron's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25151

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Nicgendron,

I have a user defined function in an xll add-in that is returning an
array.
But the dimensions of the array returned can differ from call to call.

Is there a way to produce this scenario with Excel C API.

Like I said, no. In theory, the xll could monitor the Excel environment,
look for when the user types into a cell. If it's the formula being typed
in, work out the correct dimensions and array-enter the formula in the
right-sized range. But I've no idea how to actually do that in C.

p.s. Then only way I can output an array is by selecting many cells and

entering the formula, but I can't select the right number of cells
because I
don't know the size of the array that is returned.

p.s.2 By the way, is there any available doc on Excel C API (I want to
have more information on Excel Command such as "xlcCalculateDocument"
or ''xlcFormulaArray". Any references?

Steve Dalton's "Excel add-in development in C/C++"

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Professional Excel Development
The most advanced Excel VBA book available
www.oaltd.co.uk/ProExcelDev