Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help Please

I知 trying to decide which is best, to create a macro (with some
assistance) or to just create links from cells to a new file. Here痴
what I have. I値l be working with a new file; I値l call 鼎.
I need to link values from certain cells from file 鄭 and file 釘
into file 鼎. File 鄭 contains a months worth of data, each day being
on a separate sheet.
File 釘 contains data for only one day, and is saved as today痴 date
each day.
The new File, 鼎 will incorporate data from each of these files and
will be saved daily also as today痴 date.

In summary, I値l be working with a new file actually called
Dailyproduction/08-16-05.This file will be saved each day using
subsequent dates as it痴 file name.
This file will need info from cells in a file called
FieldProduction/Aug05, sheet16 , and will also need info from some
cells in a file called PlantProduction08-16-05
I知 a novice to macros. I知 wondering if I should simply create a
template with links to each cell from it痴 connected file ,then do a
find/replace to change the links for the next days file, for example,
for the next day痴 file, change the link from FieldProduction/Aug05,
sheet16 to FieldProduction/Aug05, sheet17 , etc.
Seems this would be the long way around but I知 drawing a blank with my
limited knowledge in Macros.
I壇 appreciate the help-Greg

--
singlgl1
singlgl1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26389

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One way you could do this without macros is to use the INDIRECT function.

In workbook "C" you could have the formula
=INDIRECT("["&A1&".xls]Sheet1!$B$5").
If you enter the name of the file you want to link to in A1 this will return
the value of cell B5 on Sheet1 in the workbook named in cell A1. To change
the file you want to link to you only have to change the name in cell A1.

Note: INDIRECT only works if the file you are referencing is open.

Hope this helps
Rowan

"singlgl1" wrote:

Im trying to decide which is best, to create a macro (with some
assistance) or to just create links from cells to a new file. Heres
what I have. Ill be working with a new file; Ill call 廚.
I need to link values from certain cells from file 廣 and file 廝
into file 廚. File 廣 contains a months worth of data, each day being
on a separate sheet.
File 廝 contains data for only one day, and is saved as todays date
each day.
The new File, 廚 will incorporate data from each of these files and
will be saved daily also as todays date.

In summary, Ill be working with a new file actually called
Dailyproduction/08-16-05.This file will be saved each day using
subsequent dates as its file name.
This file will need info from cells in a file called
FieldProduction/Aug05, sheet16 , and will also need info from some
cells in a file called PlantProduction08-16-05
Im a novice to macros. Im wondering if I should simply create a
template with links to each cell from its connected file ,then do a
find/replace to change the links for the next days file, for example,
for the next days file, change the link from FieldProduction/Aug05,
sheet16 to FieldProduction/Aug05, sheet17 , etc.
Seems this would be the long way around but Im drawing a blank with my
limited knowledge in Macros.
Id appreciate the help-Greg