Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default If formulas when text is used

Hello,

I have created a list of options, lets say days, monday ~ Sunday.

Then I have a cell c2 where a user would validate from that list to pick a
day.

What I would like to do is link the results in C2 (days of the week) to a
seperate list of information in cell C3 where say, the lunch menu apprears.

So say monday lunch is tacos and tuesday lunch is pizza I would like a
formula something like (and I know the syntax is all wrong that's why I'm
looking for help :( ) if c2=monday, than c3 = tacos.

Is this possible?

Thanks & Cheers to all.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

1. Create the list of menu
-In the sheet, put the list of days in column A and menus in column B
(starting in row 1). It should then be in A1:B7
-Select rows 1:7 and hide them (menu Format Row Hide)

2. Make selection list in C2
- select c2
- menu Data Validation. The Validatioon dialog pops up. Choose:
Allow: List
Source: = $A$1:$A$8
(use row 8 when user makes a blank choice.. useful later)
Check the 'In cell drop-own"
- Click ok
Now when the user goes in c2, he can choose from a dropdown box.

3. Return a menu for a user selection
in C3 enter the formula:
=VLOOKUP( C2 , $A$1:$B$8 , 2 , False)
which returns the value in column B corresponding to the selection made by
the user in C2.

I hope this helps,
Regards,
Sébastien