Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Comparing 3 lists

I'm trying to compare the contents of 3 named lists, say ListA,ListB
and ListC.
I can understand how to do this with 2 lists but 3 just throws me,
also at least one if the lists is in a separate workbook.
Still using xl97

Any ideas?
Rgds,
MArk
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What comparisons are you trying to make? Comparing 3 lists is just
comparing 2 lists 3 times if you think about it:
A=B?
B=C?
A=C?

If A=B and B=C then you can stop because A=C has been proved.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark,

What do you mean by "comparing" the lists? Perhaps you could
provide a few more details about what exactly you want to do.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Mark" wrote in message
I'm trying to compare the contents of 3 named lists, say
ListA,ListB
and ListC.
I can understand how to do this with 2 lists but 3 just throws
me,
also at least one if the lists is in a separate workbook.
Still using xl97

Any ideas?
Rgds,
MArk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Chip,
By comparing I mean to check each entry on each list and to have any
entry that does appear on each list "copied" along with it's named
list name somewhere and use this as reference to track down why it's
not matching.

Here's some background info:
We have 3 lists of names of LGAs (Local Government Area)
ListA comes from our own internal records
ListB " " another organisation
ListC " " a Government department

Over time the LGAs can merge with each other either partly or wholly
("dies"), also a brand new LGA can be created out of present but now
old ones. Sort of like a life cycle births,deaths & marriages.

The trouble is that both ListB and ListC can be out of synch with each
other, either one can be more current than the other, and our ListA
needs to be updated as it's corresponding data (screening number
information) would need to be pointed maybe proportionately into the
correct LGA

I thought it might be handy to end up with say 6 columns headed ListA
, Not Appearing In, ListB, Not Appearin In, ListC, Not Appearing In

Uderneath say ListA would be the LGA name then in the cell to the
right the List(s) that this Lga does not appear in,
eg Sando then ListB or even ListC as well.

These are my thoughts at the moment and the end result may not exactly
mirror the above.

Thanks for any help or ideas
Mark