Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA - Passing Cell Contents Into Comment

Group,
Is it possible to pass the contents of a cell into a comment i
another cell? If so, how can I do this? Thank you for you
assistance.

Ton

--
ajociu
ajocius's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1769

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Good afternoon Ajocios

You can only do this via VBA - a macro. The code below will copy th
contents of cell A1 into a comment contained in the currently activ
cell.

Sub Macro1()
a = Range("A1").Value
usrcell = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address
With Range(usrcell)
.AddComment
.Comment.Text Text:=a
End With
End Sub

Post back if you want any further help in implementing this.

HTH

Dominic

--
dominic
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1893

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is usrcell and 'a' both String types? I'm having a problem wit
.AddComment. I get an error 1004.

Ton

--
ajociu
ajocius's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1769
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39126

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tony,

Try something like:

Public Sub Tester02()
Dim rng1 As Range, rng2 As Range
Dim sStr As String
Dim sh As Worksheet

Set sh = ActiveSheet '<<======= CHANGE
Set rng1 = sh.Range("A1") '<<======= CHANGE
Set rng2 = sh.Range("B1") '<<======= CHANGE

sStr = rng1.Text

With rng2
If rng2.Comment Is Nothing Then
.AddComment
.Comment.Text Text:=sStr
End If
End With

End Sub

---
Regards,
Norman

"ajocius" wrote in
message ...

Group,
Is it possible to pass the contents of a cell into a comment in
another cell? If so, how can I do this? Thank you for your
assistance.

Tony

--
ajocius
ajocius's Profile:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tony,

Try, instead:

Public Sub Tester02()
Dim rng1 As Range, rng2 As Range
Dim sStr As String
Dim sh As Worksheet

Set sh = ActiveSheet '<<======= CHANGE
Set rng1 = sh.Range("A1") '<<======= CHANGE
Set rng2 = sh.Range("B1") '<<======= CHANGE

sStr = rng1.Text

With rng2
If .Comment Is Nothing Then .AddComment
.Comment.Text Text:=sStr
End With

End Sub

---
Regards,
Norman

"Norman Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tony

What version of Excel are you using? I have just tested ths again
using Excel 2000 and 2003 and it works fine.

If you are using XL 97 this could be why it doesn't work, though I
wasn't aware that this command wouldn't work and cannot test on 97
because I no longer have access to it.

BTW, a is a variable that holds the contents of cell A1, and UsrCell
the variable that holds the address of the currently active cell.

Interested to know.

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dominic,

What version of Excel are you using? I have just tested ths again
using Excel 2000 and 2003 and it works fine.

The sub failed for me unless I prepended the lines:

AddComment
Comment.Text Text:=a

with a . (dot).

---
Regards,
Norman

"dominicb" wrote in
message ...

Hi Tony

What version of Excel are you using? I have just tested ths again
using Excel 2000 and 2003 and it works fine.

If you are using XL 97 this could be why it doesn't work, though I
wasn't aware that this command wouldn't work and cannot test on 97
because I no longer have access to it.

BTW, a is a variable that holds the contents of cell A1, and UsrCell
the variable that holds the address of the currently active cell.

Interested to know.

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391261

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Norman

On my system I can see the dots in front of the AddComment an
Comment.Text. - I still see them now in this copied quote. In fac
when I tested this piece of code I copied it straight from my postin
to the VBE within Excel 2000 and 2003 without a problem.

Regards

DominicB

dominicb Wrote:
Good afternoon Ajocios

You can only do this via VBA - a macro. The code below will copy th
contents of cell A1 into a comment contained in the currently activ
cell.

Sub Macro1()
a = Range("A1").Value
usrcell = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address
With Range(usrcell)
.AddComment
.Comment.Text Text:=a
End With
End Sub

Post back if you want any further help in implementing this.

HTH

Dominic

--
dominic
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1893
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39126

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dominic,

Checking the forum in which you made your post, I see that the prepended
dots were indeed included.

Using my newsreader to download messages from the MS public NGs, the dots do
not appear in your message.

My sincere apologies for doubting! .

---
Regards,
Norman

"dominicb" wrote in
message ...

Norman

On my system I can see the dots in front of the AddComment and
Comment.Text. - I still see them now in this copied quote. In fact
when I tested this piece of code I copied it straight from my posting
to the VBE within Excel 2000 and 2003 without a problem.

Regards

DominicB

dominicb Wrote:
Good afternoon Ajocios

You can only do this via VBA - a macro. The code below will copy the
contents of cell A1 into a comment contained in the currently active
cell.

Sub Macro1()
a = Range("A1").Value
usrcell = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address
With Range(usrcell)
.AddComment
.Comment.Text Text:=a
End With
End Sub

Post back if you want any further help in implementing this.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391261

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Norman

Ahhhhhhh, I see. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply - and to hunt
down where my original posting came from. Appreciated.

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391261

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

DominicB,
Below is the use of the same code you recommend. I get a run-tim
error 1004 at the .AddComment line. I'm not a proven VBA programme
yet, so the flow may seem not very VBA.

At the top of my program:

Dim UserCell As String
Dim CommentVariable As String

Further down the program
---------------------------------------

For Column = 3 To 52 Step 1
SheetCellPrevious2 = Sheets("Previous").Cells(Row
Column).Value
SheetCellCurrent2 = Sheets("Current").Cells(Row
Column).Value
If SheetCellCurrent2 < SheetCellPrevious2 Then
Cells(Row, Column).Select
CommentVariable = Cells(Row, Column).Value
UserCell = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address
With Range(UserCell)

.AddComment
.Comment.Text Text:=CommentVariable
End With
'Color Mismatched Cell in Largest Map
With Selection.Interior
.ColorIndex = 27
.Pattern = xlSolid
.PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
TotalCompareErrors = TotalCompareErrors + 1
End With
Else
End If ' End IF SheetCellCurrent2 <
SheetCellPrevious2
Next Column

Your thoughts and recommendations.........

Ton

--
ajociu
ajocius's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1769
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39126

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

DomincB,
Oh, BTW the version of Excel I'm using is 2002.

Ton

--
ajociu
ajocius's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1769
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39126

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

DominicB,
I found the error in my ways. I found it quite accidentally, maybe
you could comment why this happens. Apparently the cell you insert
comments cannot have comments already. That was the problem with my
code. Without you seeing the spreadsheets you assumed no comments were
in the sheet receiving comments. I'm sorry that I didn't make you aware
of this. Nonetheless, your model is part of my program. Thank you and
God Bless.

Tony

--
ajocius
ajocius's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17695

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi ajocius

The fact that there might have been a comment in the cell never
actually occurred to me. If you want to edit a comment, then you miss
out the .AddComment command - this is only used to add a new comment.

I must admit to being a little confused as to why you reported this
instruction as halting the program - glad you got it sorted and pleased
to have helped out in some way.

Take care

DominicB