Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Manipulating Strings

The following code copies two characters from a string in worksheet 1
and places them in a column to the right of where the string is. How would
I write this code
so I can place the code in worksheet 2 and it will get the characters from
worksheet 1 and put them in a column in worksheet 2?

Sub GetString()
Dim MyString As String
Dim Pick As String

Cells(1, 1).Select
Do While ActiveCell.Value < ""
MyString = ActiveCell
Pick = Mid(MyString, 2858, 2)

ActiveCell.Offset(0, 112) = Pick
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
Loop
End Sub

Thanks,
Les

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assuming you want the results in column DH on Sheet2 then:

Sub GetString()
Dim lRow As Long
Dim cRow As Long
Dim Sht1 As Worksheet
Dim Sht2 As Worksheet
Dim colA As Range
Dim Cell As Range

Set Sht1 = Sheets("Sheet1")
Set Sht2 = Sheets("Sheet2")
With Sht1
lRow = .Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
Set colA = Range(.Cells(1, 1), Cells(lRow, 1))
cRow = 1
For Each Cell In colA
Sht2.Cells(cRow, 112).Value = Mid(Cell.Value, 2858, 2)
cRow = cRow + 1
Next Cell
End With
End Sub

Hope this helps
Rowan

"Leslie Coover" wrote:

The following code copies two characters from a string in worksheet 1
and places them in a column to the right of where the string is. How would
I write this code
so I can place the code in worksheet 2 and it will get the characters from
worksheet 1 and put them in a column in worksheet 2?

Sub GetString()
Dim MyString As String
Dim Pick As String

Cells(1, 1).Select
Do While ActiveCell.Value < ""
MyString = ActiveCell
Pick = Mid(MyString, 2858, 2)

ActiveCell.Offset(0, 112) = Pick
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
Loop
End Sub

Thanks,
Les

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Your code places the 2 characters in a column 112 places to the right of
the activecell (and not adjacent to the activecell).

Secondly, those 2 characters are extracted from strings comprised of
2,858 characters!

You may wish to verify whether this is what you need to do.

As to copying your extracts to worksheet2, see below bolded for
effect.

Sub GetString()
Dim MyString As String
Dim Pick As String