Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Fitting characters of a font size in a cell width

In my application, printing a route delivery 'book', I form character
strings made up of numerals, special characters such as parentheses and
brackets, and uppercase letter text in Arial font, size 20. (I would rather
NOT use a non proportional font such as Courier). The font size IS needed
for readability. The strings can range from 4 to 20 or 30 characters.

It's important that the entire string shows and is not 'view truncated' by
the contents of the cell to the right of the one holding the string. Is there
some table to look up character widths, or some other method by which I can
calculate the 'width' of the character string to compare it to the column
width which is 27. I can break up the character string if it's too long and
put some of it in the next row.
(the default font for the worksheet is Arial, size 10.)

Visual inspection of the affected cells , after the fact, is not really
feasible. I am looking for a way to calculate the width of the string, and
then use from 1 to ??
rows to hold what has to be read by the delivery staff.

Thanks,
Neal Z

--
Neal Z
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Neal Zimm" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Neal,

I may be missing something here, but why not just use the:

Edit - Fill - Justify

functionality?

If you need to do it in VBA, then something like:

Range("A1:A10").justify

HTH,

Alan.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'll try it, but I was not complete in my explanation. A row in the book has
only 3 columns, each with a width of 27. Each column has a specific meaning
and usually 1 row is enough to hold the needed info. The oddball, tho
important, situation is where more than one row is needed to hold the data,
which must remain at font size 20 for easy readability. I'll try your
solution. Thanks.

--
Neal Z

"Alan" wrote:

"Neal Zimm" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not really. The route books are used in the middle of the night in a
semi-dark car.
The 'look' has to be consistant. I know I'm getting kind of nit-picky here,
but I may have to settle for a standard mix of characters, and if the count
is more than 12 or 13, split the text into different rows.
--
Neal Z