Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro command

I have inherited a file with a column of dates. However, each data
apparently has a blank space in front of it, so it is not recognized as a
real date. Hence I cannot perform algebraic manipulations on them as is.

I need to be able to go to each cell (thousands of them) in these columns
and take out this space on the left. Can someone tell me what the macro
should be to, say, start in cell C8 and edit it and take out the leftmost
character (which is a blank), and then move on to the next row down in that
column. Since some of the rows might be empty, it would be better if we
could just skip those, but it is not necessary.

In case it helps, I believe that all dates are in xx/yy/zz format (with one
spacebar in front).

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why not just do a find and replace on the blank. When the space is replaced
Excel should do an implicit conversion of the value to a date? It is a pile
easier than the code...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Dean" wrote:

I have inherited a file with a column of dates. However, each data
apparently has a blank space in front of it, so it is not recognized as a
real date. Hence I cannot perform algebraic manipulations on them as is.

I need to be able to go to each cell (thousands of them) in these columns
and take out this space on the left. Can someone tell me what the macro
should be to, say, start in cell C8 and edit it and take out the leftmost
character (which is a blank), and then move on to the next row down in that
column. Since some of the rows might be empty, it would be better if we
could just skip those, but it is not necessary.

In case it helps, I believe that all dates are in xx/yy/zz format (with one
spacebar in front).

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

why not look at all the replies to your original post yesterday? no need to
post again

you could also do this:
select the entire column
click data and then text to columns
choose delimited
click next
put a check next to space under delimiters
click next and then finish

it will put the dates in the next column to the right. if you have data
there now, just insert a column to the right of the original "date" field

--

Gary

"Dean" wrote in message
I have inherited a file with a column of dates. However, each data
apparently has a blank space in front of it, so it is not recognized as a
real date. Hence I cannot perform algebraic manipulations on them as is.

I need to be able to go to each cell (thousands of them) in these columns
and take out this space on the left. Can someone tell me what the macro
should be to, say, start in cell C8 and edit it and take out the leftmost
character (which is a blank), and then move on to the next row down in
that column. Since some of the rows might be empty, it would be better if
we could just skip those, but it is not necessary.

In case it helps, I believe that all dates are in xx/yy/zz format (with
one spacebar in front).

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For some reason, when I checked in today, I did not see my post yesterday.
In fact, I still don't! I assume it is some quirk of Outlook Express. Can
you tell me the URL so I can view these answers directly, although the two
answers to my 2nd post are both excellent enough.

Sorry,
Dean

"Dean" wrote in message
I have inherited a file with a column of dates. However, each data
apparently has a blank space in front of it, so it is not recognized as a
real date. Hence I cannot perform algebraic manipulations on them as is.

I need to be able to go to each cell (thousands of them) in these columns
and take out this space on the left. Can someone tell me what the macro
should be to, say, start in cell C8 and edit it and take out the leftmost
character (which is a blank), and then move on to the next row down in
that column. Since some of the rows might be empty, it would be better
if we could just skip those, but it is not necessary.

In case it helps, I believe that all dates are in xx/yy/zz format (with
one spacebar in front).

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It did not seem to help. In fact, all my old posts are now gone (except for
this last thread today). Is there any way I can get them back?

I did go to the URL and I did see the thread. I do not understand why it
does not show up in Outlook Express. I thank everyone for the ideas, all
good ones, though the edit replace is the easiest.

"Dean" wrote in message
I have inherited a file with a column of dates. However, each data
apparently has a blank space in front of it, so it is not recognized as
a real date. Hence I cannot perform algebraic manipulations on them as
is.

I need to be able to go to each cell (thousands of them) in these
columns and take out this space on the left. Can someone tell me what
the macro should be to, say, start in cell C8 and edit it and take out
the leftmost character (which is a blank), and then move on to the next
row down in that column. Since some of the rows might be empty, it
would be better if we could just skip those, but it is not necessary.

In case it helps, I believe that all dates are in xx/yy/zz format (with
one spacebar in front).

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hey Dean,

I had a similar problem for years. I was informed (on this very NG) that
accessing the newsgroups through my ISP's news server (which is what I
was doing) was most unreliable.

I was advised to switch to using the MS NNTP (news.microsoft.com). I did
and it's been perfect ever since.

Of course.... if you don't get to see this message then....

Good luck.

"Dean" wrote in message

For some reason, when I checked in today, I did not see my post
yesterday. In fact, I still don't! I assume it is some quirk of Outlook
Express. Can you tell me the URL so I can view these answers directly,
although the two answers to my 2nd post are both excellent enough.

Sorry,
Dean

. ..

"Dean" wrote in message

I have inherited a file with a column of dates. However, each data
apparently has a blank space in front of it, so it is not recognized as
a real date. Hence I cannot perform algebraic manipulations on them as
is.

I need to be able to go to each cell (thousands of them) in these
columns and take out this space on the left. Can someone tell me what
the macro should be to, say, start in cell C8 and edit it and take out
the leftmost character (which is a blank), and then move on to the next
row down in that column. Since some of the rows might be empty, it
would be better if we could just skip those, but it is not necessary.

In case it helps, I believe that all dates are in xx/yy/zz format (with
one spacebar in front).

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks I did see it. I will probably try it if I continue to have problems.
For now, can someone tell me how to get all my old posts to show up, since I
seem to have lost them, when I tried to reset the newsgroup, per Gary's
advice?

Thanks!
Dean

"Dean" wrote in message

For some reason, when I checked in today, I did not see my post
yesterday. In fact, I still don't! I assume it is some quirk of Outlook
Express. Can you tell me the URL so I can view these answers directly,
although the two answers to my 2nd post are both excellent enough.

Sorry,
Dean

.. .

"Dean" wrote in message

I have inherited a file with a column of dates. However, each data
apparently has a blank space in front of it, so it is not recognized
as a real date. Hence I cannot perform algebraic manipulations on them
as is.

I need to be able to go to each cell (thousands of them) in these
columns and take out this space on the left. Can someone tell me what
the macro should be to, say, start in cell C8 and edit it and take out
the leftmost character (which is a blank), and then move on to the
next row down in that column. Since some of the rows might be empty,
it would be better if we could just skip those, but it is not
necessary.

In case it helps, I believe that all dates are in xx/yy/zz format
(with one spacebar in front).

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Um... not sure why you lost them, try the following:

- RightClick on the NG
- Select Properties
- Select Local File tab
- Click Reset
- Click Headers button until it retrieves all the messages going that
far back (you may like to change the number of headers it retrieves at
any one time).

HTH

"Dean" wrote in message

I have inherited a file with a column of dates. However, each data
apparently has a blank space in front of it, so it is not recognized
as a real date. Hence I cannot perform algebraic manipulations on them
as is.

I need to be able to go to each cell (thousands of them) in these
columns and take out this space on the left. Can someone tell me what
the macro should be to, say, start in cell C8 and edit it and take out
the leftmost character (which is a blank), and then move on to the
next row down in that column. Since some of the rows might be empty,
it would be better if we could just skip those, but it is not
necessary.

In case it helps, I believe that all dates are in xx/yy/zz format
(with one spacebar in front).

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not sure in what mode (I assume it is within Outlook Express) I should
be in, so that I can right-click on the newsgroup to get properties to
appear. I tried it two different ways and got nothing, then "What"s This?".

Can you please back up a couple of steps.

Thank you very much.

Dean