Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Where can I find the Function names in other languages

I have a function that searches on a string that makes up a function name say
"=IF(". Now lets assumed that I can do this perfectly, ignoring any string
search shortfalls of VBA (I know I can use Regular Expressions too).

If I am doing this in a version of Excel that is not English say French, the
IF Statment will likely not be the english IF. As such a search for "IF(" in
a french version - or any other version - of windows is not likely to be
productive. If I wanted to build a search function that looked for "IF(" in
every language version of Excel, what would be the best way of doing this?
Would I:

1) create a sub that recognises what language version I am in, then pass the
correct function spelling for that function in that langauge to a variable
and search on it
2) Or are the functions just simply backed by a general library that can be
referenced (say a ref number that is common to all IF statments in all
languages versions of Excel?

If need be where can I get the function names across all languages?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you do this from VBA, you might look through the .Formula property of all
cells. This property is always the English version, as opposed to the
FormulaLocal property.
If you want to use the Find method of Excel, you may benefit from
keepITcool's utility to translate functions. You can download it at

http://members.chello.nl/keepitcool/addins.html

Of course you can find all translations for your local version and back by
using the .Formula and .FormulaLocal properties.
--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"ExcelMonkey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

sForm = range("B9").Formula
iloc = Instr(1,sForm, "=IF",vbTextcompare) Then

The results of the formula property will always be in English.

functions are stored as OP codes. So they are language independent, but you
can't access them to the best of my knowledge. If you are using the FIND
method of the range, then I guess you would need to know what the name for
"IF" is.

I believe KeepItCool has a listing of the translation of function names in
many languages.

Tom Ogilvy

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi ExcelMonkey,

See KeepItCool's TranslateIT addin at:

http://members.chello.nl/keepitcool/download.html

---
Regards,
Norman

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks all. Very helpful. Two last questions.

1)Is it possible to change the setting in my Excel so that it runs in
another language. That is, i want to see it they way the do in other
countries. Or is this a Windows setting. I would like to do some testing
in these other versions. I want to know if it is as simple as flicking a
swich on my own computer.

2)When I reived an excel file from another country (say France), it will
likely be in French. Is it possible in Excel to view that file from my
english windows/excel in English or does it only view in the language that it
orginated in (French)?

Thanks again all!

"ExcelMonkey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

1) You can change the language of the user interface only when you have the
Multilingual package, which is only distributed with corporate versions of
Office. But if you have the French version, you can display the English
formula with a UDF which returns the .Formula property

2) The French workbook you receive will be displayed in the language of your
local version; it will be "translated" automatically. The internal
representation of formulas is independent of your language. There are a few
tricky things. All literals are suspect: format codes (like those for dates)
like in the TEXT function, cell addresses in INDIRECT functions if they are
in R1C1 style, etc. Also the Analysis Toolpak functions will not be
translated.

--

"ExcelMonkey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

how is there a GIF attachment on this post? or doesn't it show for anyone
but me?

The file was not viewable to me, by the way.
"Norman Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bill,

how is there a GIF attachment on this post?

I do not know. I never (intentionally) add attachments, and had either of
the reponses from Niek or Tom been visible to me, I would not have not have
added my voice.

---
Regards,
Norman