Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Getting value from an unopened file (indirectly referenced)

1. I am working on file F1 and Cell A1 contains a file name (fname).
2. I want to extract the contents of cell B2 on fname (which has not been
opened!)and put it onto cell B2 of file F1.

How do I do this ?

- I used concatenate to evaluate '<fname but it does not work
- I used Indirect function, but it works only with opened files

Regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi,
Here is a formula that i use to do that.

=('S:\PUBLIC\Ae-pc\WOR\fy05\[WORJun05.xls]WCon'!$AS$2)

you can adjust it to fit your data. it uses file path in the formula.
note the single quotes around the path up to sheet number and the file name
in brackets.

Regards
FSt1
"learnexcel" wrote:

1. I am working on file F1 and Cell A1 contains a file name (fname).
2. I want to extract the contents of cell B2 on fname (which has not been
opened!)and put it onto cell B2 of file F1.

How do I do this ?

- I used concatenate to evaluate '<fname but it does not work
- I used Indirect function, but it works only with opened files

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks FSt1.
I tried it but does not exactly solve my problem, which runs as follows
(formatted as per your suggestion):

Cell B2 in currebtly openbook, contains
="('D:\Something\[" & A2 & "]Details'!$B$9")

FYI: Cell A2 (which is a <<Pointer to a file contains "Something-new.xls
and a sheet named Details)

Regards
learnexcel

"learnexcel" wrote:

1. I am working on file F1 and Cell A1 contains a file name (fname).
2. I want to extract the contents of cell B2 on fname (which has not been
opened!)and put it onto cell B2 of file F1.

How do I do this ?

- I used concatenate to evaluate '<fname but it does not work
- I used Indirect function, but it works only with opened files

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You'd want to use the =indirect() worksheet function. But that doesn't work
with closed files.

Harlan Grove wrote a UDF called PULL that will retrieve the value from a closed
workbook.

You can find the function at Harlan's FTP site:
ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dear Dave

Wonderful ! It works.

Many thanks to you and Harlan.

Regards
learnexcel

"learnexcel" wrote:

1. I am working on file F1 and Cell A1 contains a file name (fname).
2. I want to extract the contents of cell B2 on fname (which has not been
opened!)and put it onto cell B2 of file F1.

How do I do this ?

- I used concatenate to evaluate '<fname but it does not work
- I used Indirect function, but it works only with opened files

Regards

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dear Dave

I am coming back again- sorry,

But the returned string is truncated to 255 Characters. Any reason ?

Reagrds
learnexcel

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Harlan does very nice work.

"learnexcel" wrote:

1. I am working on file F1 and Cell A1 contains a file name (fname).
2. I want to extract the contents of cell B2 on fname (which has not been
opened!)and put it onto cell B2 of file F1.

How do I do this ?

- I used concatenate to evaluate '<fname but it does not work
- I used Indirect function, but it works only with opened files

Regards

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's the way excel works with closed files.

The only workaround I know is to open the other file.

learnexcel wrote:

Dear Dave

I am coming back again- sorry,

But the returned string is truncated to 255 Characters. Any reason ?

Reagrds
learnexcel

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Harlan does very nice work.

"learnexcel" wrote:

1. I am working on file F1 and Cell A1 contains a file name (fname).
2. I want to extract the contents of cell B2 on fname (which has not been
opened!)and put it onto cell B2 of file F1.

How do I do this ?

- I used concatenate to evaluate '<fname but it does not work
- I used Indirect function, but it works only with opened files

Regards

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the info.

Regards
learnexcel

learnexcel wrote:

Dear Dave

I am coming back again- sorry,

But the returned string is truncated to 255 Characters. Any reason ?

Reagrds
learnexcel

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Harlan does very nice work.

"learnexcel" wrote:

1. I am working on file F1 and Cell A1 contains a file name (fname).
2. I want to extract the contents of cell B2 on fname (which has not been
opened!)and put it onto cell B2 of file F1.

How do I do this ?

- I used concatenate to evaluate '<fname but it does not work
- I used Indirect function, but it works only with opened files

Regards

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's the way excel works with closed files.

The only workaround I know is to open the other file.

I thought Harlan's routine opened the file in another instance of excel.

So the file would be opened, would it not. A little more due diligence
required?

Tom Ogilvy

learnexcel wrote:

Dear Dave

I am coming back again- sorry,

But the returned string is truncated to 255 Characters. Any reason ?

Reagrds
learnexcel

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Harlan does very nice work.

"learnexcel" wrote:

1. I am working on file F1 and Cell A1 contains a file name

(fname).
2. I want to extract the contents of cell B2 on fname (which

has not been
opened!)and put it onto cell B2 of file F1.

How do I do this ?

- I used concatenate to evaluate '<fname but it does not

work
- I used Indirect function, but it works only with opened

files

Regards

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Or maybe not.

Harlan's code starts another instance of excel, but never opens the other
workbook. He uses an xlm macro to retrieve the value from a closed file into
that instance.

(Ps. I think we've had this conversation before <vbg.)

(A long time ago, I posted a short, inaccurate description of Harlan's code. I
was severely chastised by the author of the code <v,vbg.)

learnexcel wrote:

Dear Dave

I am coming back again- sorry,

But the returned string is truncated to 255 Characters. Any reason ?

Reagrds
learnexcel

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Harlan does very nice work.