Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Worksheet change

I'm trying to use the worksheet change function to start a macro. I'm
monitoring a cell which is linked to an external source. When that cell
changes, it should start the macro, but nothing happens.

If I start the macro by manually changing the cell myself then the the macro
works properly, but I want it to start automatically when the linked cell
changes. Any ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Craig.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob,

Doesn't that function only work after a recalculation? If so, doesn't it
still come down to recognising when the cell has changed value (in order to
recalculate to start the calculate event)?

Thanks,
Craig.

"CraigB" wrote in message
I'm trying to use the worksheet change function to start a macro. I'm
monitoring a cell which is linked to an external source. When that cell
changes, it should start the macro, but nothing happens.

If I start the macro by manually changing the cell myself then the the

macro
works properly, but I want it to start automatically when the linked cell
changes. Any ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Craig.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes. To force it you can link a cell to one of the updating cells, this will
trigger Calculate.It is a trick I use a lot with Excel 97 where Data
Validation changes do not trigger the change event.

Bob

"CraigB" wrote in message
I'm trying to use the worksheet change function to start a macro. I'm
monitoring a cell which is linked to an external source. When that

cell
changes, it should start the macro, but nothing happens.

If I start the macro by manually changing the cell myself then the the

macro
works properly, but I want it to start automatically when the linked

cell
changes. Any ideas.

Thanks in advance,
Craig.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob,

Thanks very much - it finally works! I've been messing about with
worksheet_change for 3 weeks because the help page said it worked for
externally linked data as well as user changed data. Now I can get on with
the application.

Best regards,
Craig.