Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Capture Update Links event VBA

Does anyone know how to capture when links are updated within Excel?
E.g. Book1.xls contains a link to a cell in book2.xls when book1 is opened
and the usual 'this workbook contains links do other data sources' and the
'Update' button is selected. We wish to capture information on when this link
was updated and what the previous value was thus creating a history of the
workbook.
I know how to program an xls file to bypass the autoupdate on open and
create some code that prompts an alternative similar message box but this
doesn't prevent someone using 'links' on the menus. I suppose I should say is
there an API that I can use to capture when this event occurs. Any help would
be very welcome
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Perhaps using the worksheet On_Change event ?

API calls are not application specific. By definition they work at the
MS Windows interface level.

--
BrianB

BrianB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...info&userid=55
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=387966

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Brian,
Thanks for the advice - using the Worksheet On_Change()
(or Workbook SheetChange()) the only issue I had with this is that the code
kicked off when any cell is changed regardless of whether or not it was a
link - having said this I know you can check whether or not the cell contains
a link but it seems a shame that you cannot just check for link updates only.
But thanks again.