Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to open Excel file from PowerPoint?

Office XP

From a macro in PowerPoint, I open an Excel file I want to work with. I use:

Excel.Workbooks.Open FileName:= _
"C:\Whatever.xls"
Excel.Application.Visible = True

Excel and the file open, but I don't have access to my Excel addins. Their
commands no longer appear in the Tools menu. (For example, Bovey's
CodeCleaner.) However, the addins show as installed and loaded.

How can I open the Excel file from PowerPoint with addins intact?

Is there anything else I should know about opening Excel from PowerPoint?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think you have to load them all manually when using automation, so you
need to open them as any other Excel file.

--

HTH

RP

"Bob H" wrote in message
Office XP

From a macro in PowerPoint, I open an Excel file I want to work with. I

use:

Excel.Workbooks.Open FileName:= _
"C:\Whatever.xls"
Excel.Application.Visible = True

Excel and the file open, but I don't have access to my Excel addins. Their
commands no longer appear in the Tools menu. (For example, Bovey's
CodeCleaner.) However, the addins show as installed and loaded.

How can I open the Excel file from PowerPoint with addins intact?

Is there anything else I should know about opening Excel from PowerPoint?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes

This was suggested by KeepItCool and should work:

code from KeepItCool (Oct 21, 2004)
Sub LoadXLwithAddins()
Dim xl As Object
Dim ai As Object

Set xl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

For Each ai In Application.AddIns
If ai.Installed Then
xl.Workbooks.Open(ai.FullName).RunAutoMacros 1
End If
Next

xl.Visible = True
Set xl = Nothing

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message ...
I think you have to load them all manually when using automation, so you
need to open them as any other Excel file.

--

HTH

RP

"Bob H" wrote in message
Office XP

From a macro in PowerPoint, I open an Excel file I want to work with. I

use:

Excel.Workbooks.Open FileName:= _
"C:\Whatever.xls"
Excel.Application.Visible = True

Excel and the file open, but I don't have access to my Excel addins. Their
commands no longer appear in the Tools menu. (For example, Bovey's
CodeCleaner.) However, the addins show as installed and loaded.

How can I open the Excel file from PowerPoint with addins intact?

Is there anything else I should know about opening Excel from PowerPoint?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Ron (and KeepItCool).

It choked several times when I first ran it. I changed
Application.Addins to xl.AddIns and it got past that line, but still errored
(1004) when trying to open the addin. I disabled the Excel 10.0 Object
library in PPT, and it continued to crash, but after a few runs, it
miraculasly started working. So, it works now is the bottom line.

Thanks again.

"Ron de Bruin" wrote in message
Yes

This was suggested by KeepItCool and should work:

code from KeepItCool (Oct 21, 2004)
Sub LoadXLwithAddins()
Dim xl As Object
Dim ai As Object

Set xl = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

For Each ai In Application.AddIns
If ai.Installed Then
xl.Workbooks.Open(ai.FullName).RunAutoMacros 1
End If
Next

xl.Visible = True
Set xl = Nothing

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
I think you have to load them all manually when using automation, so you
need to open them as any other Excel file.

--

HTH

RP

"Bob H" wrote in message
Office XP

From a macro in PowerPoint, I open an Excel file I want to work with. I

use:

Excel.Workbooks.Open FileName:= _
"C:\Whatever.xls"
Excel.Application.Visible = True

Excel and the file open, but I don't have access to my Excel addins.
Their
commands no longer appear in the Tools menu. (For example, Bovey's
CodeCleaner.) However, the addins show as installed and loaded.

How can I open the Excel file from PowerPoint with addins intact?

Is there anything else I should know about opening Excel from
PowerPoint?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think that is what I told you to do.

[...]