Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Format column to have different decimal places

On my spread sheet I have a column with different equipment numbers. If the
number starts with 25 it needs to have 4 decimal places (25.4444) if it
starts with a 26 it needs to have 3 decimal places (26.333). Not sure how to
do this we tried conditional formatting and it does not give decimal as
option. We tried to format as general but it would drop the zero off the end.
Example 26.330 would be 26.33.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sounds like you'll need a helper column, or you'll need a worksheet change
event. Which are you open to? Extra column or macro?
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Branden" wrote in message
On my spread sheet I have a column with different equipment numbers. If

the
number starts with 25 it needs to have 4 decimal places (25.4444) if it
starts with a 26 it needs to have 3 decimal places (26.333). Not sure how

do this we tried conditional formatting and it does not give decimal as
option. We tried to format as general but it would drop the zero off the

end.
Example 26.330 would be 26.33.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Let's use Range(A1:A15). The trick is defining x as an Integer.
(you could also adapt this to a worksheet change event)

Dim x As Integer, cel As Range

For Each cel In Range("A1:A15")
If IsNumeric(cel) = True Then
x = cel
If x = 25 Then
cel.NumberFormat = "#,##0.0000"
ElseIf x = 26 Then
cel.NumberFormat = "#,##0.000"
Next

--
steveB

Remove "AYN" from email to respond
"Branden" wrote in message
On my spread sheet I have a column with different equipment numbers. If
the
number starts with 25 it needs to have 4 decimal places (25.4444) if it
starts with a 26 it needs to have 3 decimal places (26.333). Not sure how
do this we tried conditional formatting and it does not give decimal as
option. We tried to format as general but it would drop the zero off the
end.
Example 26.330 would be 26.33.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Roy Roy is offline

Branden,

Here is a Worksheet_Change event version.

On Error GoTo BadTarget
If Target.Column = 1 Then ' 1 = column A - adjust for your specific column
If IsNumeric(Target) And Target = 25 And Target < 26 Then
Target.NumberFormat = "0.0000"
Else
If Target = 26 And Target < 27 Then
Target.NumberFormat = "0.000"

BadTarget:
On Error GoTo 0

End Sub

Roy

"Branden" wrote in message
On my spread sheet I have a column with different equipment numbers. If
the
number starts with 25 it needs to have 4 decimal places (25.4444) if it
starts with a 26 it needs to have 3 decimal places (26.333). Not sure how
do this we tried conditional formatting and it does not give decimal as
option. We tried to format as general but it would drop the zero off the
end.
Example 26.330 would be 26.33.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Steve,

The trick is defining x as an Integer.

This results in rounding to the nearest integer. In consequence, all
numerical values between (and including) 25.5 and 26 are rounded to 26 an
formatted accordingly.

Similarly, values between (and including) 26.5 and 27 are rounded to 27 and
will not, therefore, be formatted by your procedure.

It would be better, IMO, to adopt the appoach suggested by Roy or to use the
VBA Int function or, if negative values were possible, the Fix function.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Branden" wrote in message
On my spread sheet I have a column with different equipment numbers. If
the
number starts with 25 it needs to have 4 decimal places (25.4444) if it
starts with a 26 it needs to have 3 decimal places (26.333). Not sure how
do this we tried conditional formatting and it does not give decimal as
option. We tried to format as general but it would drop the zero off the
end.
Example 26.330 would be 26.33.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Norman,

Thanks for the correction. (I should have tried it out first)

Did find the following to work. Incremented a list from 25 - 27 by 0.1

Dim x As Integer, cel As Range
For Each cel In Range("b1:b25")
x = WorksheetFunction.RoundDown(cel, 0)
cel.Offset(0, 1) = x