Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Handling Combo boxes...

Hello,
I have a workbook with some data. I plan to put in a combobox here, s
that the users select only predetermined values. I have done this also
But, I want to display a text in the adjoining cell, corresponding t
the menu item that is selected. for e.g Suppose a person select
"Apple" from the dropdown, the adjoining cell should show "Fruit". I
someone selects "Onion", it should display "Vegetable". I have one dat
range with Apple, Onion, etc, but when I select from the dropdown, i
displays the number (1, 2, etc). Is it possible for me to display
different text on the basis of my selection? Or is there any othe
method?

Pls do let me know.

Sujes

--
sujesh
sujeshn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2525

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have one data
range with Apple, Onion, etc, but when I select from the dropdown, it
displays the number (1, 2, etc). Is it possible for me to display a
different text on the basis of my selection? Or is there any other
method?

Use the combobox from the control toolbox menu (View Toolbars Control
Toolbox)

But, I want to display a text in the adjoining cell, corresponding to
the menu item that is selected. for e.g Suppose a person selects
"Apple" from the dropdown, the adjoining cell should show "Fruit".

If you have 2 ranges, 1 for the fruits, and the other for the vegetables,
just do a match, and the one which does not return an error, is the one you
should use. Example:
A1:A10 are fruits, and B1:B10 are veg.
You are entering a value in C1 (either apple or onion), and in D1 you want
"Fruits" or "Veg" accordingly.
Enter the following in D1:
=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(C1,A1:A10,0)),"Fruit","Vegetabl e")

Mangesh

"sujeshn" wrote in
message ...

Hello,
I have a workbook with some data. I plan to put in a combobox here, so
that the users select only predetermined values. I have done this also.
But, I want to display a text in the adjoining cell, corresponding to
the menu item that is selected. for e.g Suppose a person selects
"Apple" from the dropdown, the adjoining cell should show "Fruit". If
someone selects "Onion", it should display "Vegetable". I have one data
range with Apple, Onion, etc, but when I select from the dropdown, it
displays the number (1, 2, etc). Is it possible for me to display a
different text on the basis of my selection? Or is there any other
method?

Pls do let me know.

Sujesh

--