Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default File Input Question

I am developing a macro which pulls a lot of information out of certai
.txt files and does calculations and such. The problem comes i
finding which files need to be parsed. There is no consistent fil
naming system. All we know is that it is in a specified folder an
that the 3rd line of the file will contain a string which the use
specifies.

Problem: This directory contains approx. 4000 files so we should no
attempt to open every file in the entire directory to parse.

I was thinking about trying to use the document properties to sif
through the files. For example, we do know that the file has to b
created on or after a certain date. Is this faster than opening th
entire file for output? (I assume it is)

Can anyone think of a way to find the required files faster?
Also, is there a fast way to get directly to a specific line number i
an input file (or specific line/col in a txt file?)

Thanks in advance

--
prepotenc
prepotency's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2415