Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Combinations

Hi,
Any statisticians out there :-)

I have 42 blocks of data, each block containing 6 cells.
Each cell can be either empty or populated.

How many combinations are possible ?

1. All cell blocks are empty.
2. Block 1 has 1 cell populated, all other blocks are empty
..
..
n All cells in all blocks are populated.

Regards,
Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For each "block" there are 6 possibilities (assuming the ORDER of the cells
that are populated is not important, just the number that are).
For two blocks, the answer is 6 x 6; i.e. each of the 6 possibilities in the
first block combined with each of the 6 in the second block.

So for all 42 blocks, there are 6 to the 42nd power possibilities... about
4.81 x 10 to the 32nd power. That is a lot!

"I'm not a statistician, but I play one on TV..."
K Dales

"Don Lloyd" wrote:

Hi,
Any statisticians out there :-)

I have 42 blocks of data, each block containing 6 cells.
Each cell can be either empty or populated.

How many combinations are possible ?

1. All cell blocks are empty.
2. Block 1 has 1 cell populated, all other blocks are empty
..
..
n All cells in all blocks are populated.

Regards,
Don

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ooops...
For each block there are 7 possibilities: All blank, 1 filled, 2 filled,
3,4,5,6 filled
so 7 to the 32nd...
1,104,427,674,243,920,646,305,299,201