Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Marco for Picuture

I am trying to create a macro in a cell that will insert a picture within the
cell specifically formatted to that cell so it will not be gigantic when
selected.

I started with this:
Private Sub Macro()

msoCommandBarButtonHyperlinkInsertPicture = (A83)

End Sub

Can someone help?

thank you,
Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Turn on the macro recorder and perform the action manually. Then you will
get code that allows you to insert a picture.

I recorded a macro like this:
Range("B9").Select
ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert( _
"C:\My Pictures\Sample.jpg"). _
Select

You could add
Selection.Height = Range("B9").Height
Selection.Width = Range("B9").width

Tom Ogilvy

"Daniel R. Young" wrote in message
I am trying to create a macro in a cell that will insert a picture within

the
cell specifically formatted to that cell so it will not be gigantic when
selected.

I started with this:
Private Sub Macro()

msoCommandBarButtonHyperlinkInsertPicture = (A83)

End Sub

Can someone help?

thank you,
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Daniel

You can use this to insert a picture and make it the same size as the cell

Sub test()
Dim YourPicture As Picture
With ActiveSheet.Range("D1")
Set YourPicture = .Parent.Pictures.Insert("C:\picture1.bmp")
YourPicture.Top = .Top
YourPicture.Width = .Width
YourPicture.Height = .Height
YourPicture.Left = .Left
YourPicture.Placement = xlMoveAndSize
End With

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Daniel R. Young" wrote in message
I am trying to create a macro in a cell that will insert a picture within the
cell specifically formatted to that cell so it will not be gigantic when
selected.

I started with this:
Private Sub Macro()

msoCommandBarButtonHyperlinkInsertPicture = (A83)

End Sub

Can someone help?

thank you,
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dan,

You may wish to look at how JE McGimpsey handles the conditional display of
picture in a worksheet:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html

I am trying to create a macro in a cell that will insert a picture within
the
cell specifically formatted to that cell so it will not be gigantic when
selected.

A picture has a Height and a Width property and you can set the to equal a
worksheet cell's Height and Width properties.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Daniel R. Young" wrote in message
I am trying to create a macro in a cell that will insert a picture within
the
cell specifically formatted to that cell so it will not be gigantic when
selected.

I started with this:
Private Sub Macro()

msoCommandBarButtonHyperlinkInsertPicture = (A83)

End Sub

Can someone help?

thank you,
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Good opportunity to jump in with a related problem Ron ... Can the below be
expanded as follows: suppose had a list of image URLs to loop through, and
each of these I want to save the target to HD. Example:
http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/ww/beta/y3.gif

and I want to actually create a new file on my HD with this picture, can it
be done? I tried using OLEObject and coundn't get anywhere.

Thanks

"Ron de Bruin" wrote in message
Hi Daniel

You can use this to insert a picture and make it the same size as the cell

Sub test()
Dim YourPicture As Picture
With ActiveSheet.Range("D1")
Set YourPicture = .Parent.Pictures.Insert("C:\picture1.bmp")
YourPicture.Top = .Top
YourPicture.Width = .Width
YourPicture.Height = .Height
YourPicture.Left = .Left
YourPicture.Placement = xlMoveAndSize
End With

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Daniel R. Young" wrote in
message ...
I am trying to create a macro in a cell that will insert a picture within
the
cell specifically formatted to that cell so it will not be gigantic when
selected.

I started with this:
Private Sub Macro()

msoCommandBarButtonHyperlinkInsertPicture = (A83)

End Sub

Can someone help?

thank you,
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi William

Try this

With the list of urls in column A of "Sheet1"
in will insert the picture in a new workbook and save the file as Picture ?

Sub Add_Pictures_from_Website()
Dim wb As Workbook
Dim cell As Range
Dim a As Long
a = 0
For Each cell In Sheets("Sheet1").Columns("A").Cells.SpecialCells(x lCellTypeConstants)
If cell.Value Like "http://*" Then
a = a + 1
Set wb = Workbooks.Add(xlWBATWorksheet)

wb.Sheets(1).Shapes.AddPicture cell.Value, msoTrue, _
msoFalse, 100, 100, 100, 50
wb.SaveAs "Picture " & a & ".xls"
wb.Close False
End If
Next cell

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"William Benson" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried that, I guess I neede something a little different because I want
the result to be the same type file the ImageURL was? I am trying to use
Excel as a mechanism to save the pictures which the imageURLs point to on my
h.d. (depending on URL file, it could be gif, could be jpg, etc) Thanks.

?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

and I want to actually create a new file on my HD with this picture

This example will add a workbook with the picture ?
Do you want to save only the pictures ?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi William

You can insert them all in the same worsheet and save the file as a webpage.
It will create a htm file and a folder with all the pictures for you.
Is this a option for you ?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron,

I am sorry if I am wasting your time, I am greatful for you thinking about
this and offering suggestions...

Basically I need to use Excel (or any other program which harnesses VBA) to
harvest a collection of pictures from the Web, save them to hard drive, so
they can be pulled in as pictures at my convenience -- be it to an excel
file, an access application, an e-mail, whatever. I was thinking to save

http://www.blahblahblah/ThisPic.JPG files as JPEGs

and

http://www.blahblahblah/ThatPic.GIF files as GIFS

I felt I could probably copy each picture from the Web and store on my HD
one by one, but if I have the list of URLs in excel I thought it would be
great if Excel could just grab the URLs and make pictures of each one, and
save the picture (not the worksheet) on my hard drive. Not much different
than saving a ChartObject as a picture (I know it can be turned into HTML,
but I wanted a jpeg).

I really don't know if storing as a web page will work, I have seen the
results of that, it is an icon that looks like an excel file ... I don't
think it is the same exact thing as a JPEG, and when I look at the file's
contents in Notepad, it certainly does have some code which I don't
understand, but one thing I do recognize is 'SRC = ' and then it shows the
source file's name. To me, that should no longer be relevent in the final
outcome, which I wanted to be just have a picture file (GIF or JPEG).

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Try saving as a webpage first and look in the folder if the pictures are OK for you.
If this is working you can use code to loop through the list and insert them in a sheet and save as a webpage.