Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Copy to next blank row

Hi

I have a few cells of data which I need to copy to the next blank row of
another sheet. I can find the row number required by doing this :

Dim Rownumber As Integer
If Range("A20").Value = "" Then Rownumber = 20
If Range("A19").Value = "" Then Rownumber = 19
If Range("A18").Value = "" Then Rownumber = 18
If Range("A17").Value = "" Then Rownumber = 17
If Range("A16").Value = "" Then Rownumber = 16

But I am then having problems with defining the destination to copy to. I
have tried using :

Worksheets("CURRENT").Range("B2").Copy _
Destination:=Worksheets("Balance Order Form").Cells(2, Rownumber)

but I keep getting Runtime Error '1004 ' Application defined or object
defined error, and I don't know what that means or how I should get round it.

Can someone help? Many thanks

Phil
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'd check to see what RowNumber was right before the copy portion:

msgbox rownumber

If A16:A20 is all filled in, then what should happen?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It worked in my test with empty cells in the range A16:A20. But you get the
error if they all have data as rownumber is not set.

--

HTH

RP

"Defoes Right Boot" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for suggestions. I have checked rownumber prior to attempting the
copy, and by giving rownumber an initial value I have found that rownumber is
not getting changed by any of the if...then code - but I can't see why, as
column A is totally blank at present.

I have also got a line which craps out of the macro with an error message
for the user if all the available rows are already filled - that bit at least
works OK!!!

Also the copying is not happening even when I give rownumber a value
manually although there is no error coming up.

I'm not a VB expert by any means so getting horribly confused by all this,
anyone got any further ideas?

Phil

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

try it this way

Dim Rownumber As Integer
If Trim(Range("A20").Value) = "" Then Rownumber = 20
If Trim(Range("A19").Value) = "" Then Rownumber = 19
If Trim(Range("A18").Value) = "" Then Rownumber = 18
If Trim(Range("A17").Value) = "" Then Rownumber = 17
If Trim(Range("A16").Value) = "" Then Rownumber = 16

Also, this assumes the activesheet is the sheet you are checking. However,
you use the information to copy to a specific sheet, so perhaps you just
need

Dim Rownumber As Integer
With Worksheets("Balance Order Form")
If .Range("A20").Value = "" Then Rownumber = 20
If .Range("A19").Value = "" Then Rownumber = 19
If .Range("A18").Value = "" Then Rownumber = 18
If .Range("A17").Value = "" Then Rownumber = 17
If .Range("A16").Value = "" Then Rownumber = 16
End With

Tom Ogilvy

"Defoes Right Boot" wrote in
message ...