Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Merged cells text 255 chars causes "#" to be displayed

I have one cell on a template that displays all "#########....." when I
insert more than 255 characters, although all text is present and can be
edited.
Merged cells are formatted as Text, Wrap=true, merged over 10 columns and 2
rows.
No validation or conditional formatting applied. No code running upon
change.

Reading:

shows no reason for this behaviour.
If the merged cells are formatted as General, then text is displayed as
usual.
As barcodes may be inserted in this area, I need it formatted as Text.

NickHK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nick,

It's not merged cells that's causing the problem,
Appears to be the use of @ in the (custom) numberformat when
applied to text 255 char.

Also i cant see that you have a problem:
I've never heard of a valid barcode that was longer than 255 chars..
... so just insert multiple barcodes in multiple cells.

or start the string with an apostrophe or vblf/linefeed

--
keepITcool

NickHK wrote :

I have one cell on a template that displays all "#########....." when
I insert more than 255 characters, although all text is present and
can be edited.
Merged cells are formatted as Text, Wrap=true, merged over 10 columns
and 2 rows.
No validation or conditional formatting applied. No code running upon
change.

Reading:

shows no reason for this behaviour.
If the merged cells are formatted as General, then text is displayed
as usual.
As barcodes may be inserted in this area, I need it formatted as Text.

NickHK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

what can I say?

there's plenty of 16bit legacy in Excel.
and plenty of trouble with strings 255

content is truncated when sheets are copied.
many functions wont work on "long" strings.
editing formulas/names
etc
etc
etc

silly?.. i'd use a stronger word myself.

--
keepITcool

NickHK wrote :

keepITcool,
I can work around, but it seems pretty silly that the only format
specifically for text cannot handle more than 255 characters, whilst
all the others display correctly.

Correction to above:
Looking at the Format cellsNumber dialog, the "Sample" frame at the
top display correctly for all formats except General, Accounting &
Text which show "#####.." instead of the correct text. Of these 3,
Accounting & Text cause the cell to display "####..."

NickHK

ft.com...

www.XLsupport.com | keepITcool chello nl | amsterdam