Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default excel auto-formatting - help

As of today (it's never happened before) a spread sheet that I'm been
adding to will now delete leading zeros if they are typed or pasted
into any cell. So if I enter 0067, it turns it into 67. I don't want
this. I've looked at cell formatting, auto formatting, conditional
formatting, and can't find out what's making this happen or how to turn
it off. I even tried Paste Special, and picked Text, which should paste
the text exactly as it is and leave it alone, but it still changes it.

OK, maybe I'll feel stupid when I find the answer, but it's driving me
crazy. So what's the trick?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Greg:

One thing to look at is the format for the cells. If you right-click a cell
(or column) and select Format Cells (Number tab), there is an option for
Text. As long as the cells have this format, they should preserve leading
zeros.

--
David Lloyd
MCSD .NET

This response is supplied "as is" without any representations or warranties.

wrote in message
oups.com...
As of today (it's never happened before) a spread sheet that I'm been
adding to will now delete leading zeros if they are typed or pasted
into any cell. So if I enter 0067, it turns it into 67. I don't want
this. I've looked at cell formatting, auto formatting, conditional
formatting, and can't find out what's making this happen or how to turn
it off. I even tried Paste Special, and picked Text, which should paste
the text exactly as it is and leave it alone, but it still changes it.

OK, maybe I'll feel stupid when I find the answer, but it's driving me
crazy. So what's the trick?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ron Ron is offline

Hi,

Not sure if you have tried adding ' in front of the number i.e '067. Tried
and it work.

fishy

"David Lloyd" wrote:

Greg:

One thing to look at is the format for the cells. If you right-click a cell
(or column) and select Format Cells (Number tab), there is an option for
Text. As long as the cells have this format, they should preserve leading
zeros.

--
David Lloyd
MCSD .NET
http://LemingtonConsulting.com

This response is supplied "as is" without any representations or warranties.

oups.com...