Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Finding the Value (of text and numbers) between N/A's

Howdie all :)

Problem...My data is of two types

Type I - Numbers or #N/A - these are in cells a1,c1,e1,g1
Type II - Text or #N/A - these are in cells b1,d1,f1,h1

For Type 1
I need to put in cell I1 the first (or any) instance of a number - The
number if picked up in a1,c1,e1,g1 will always be the same, ie only two
options - the number or a N/A. I want the formulae in I1 to look at
a1,c1,e1,g1 and tell me what the number in the range is.

For Type II
Same as above but I need to display in J1 the result of the first
instance of text (text will always be the same - could either be text
(eg ABC234) or NA that could be in b1,d1,e1,g1..

MANY THANKS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Type I:

=IF(NOT(ISERROR(A1)),A1,IF(NOT(ISERROR(C1)),C1,IF( NOT(ISERROR(E1)),E1,G1)))

Type II:

=IF(NOT(ISERROR(B1)),B1,IF(NOT(ISERROR(D1)),D1,IF( NOT(ISERROR(F1)),F1,H1)))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Darin Kramer" wrote in message
Howdie all :)

Problem...My data is of two types

Type I - Numbers or #N/A - these are in cells a1,c1,e1,g1
Type II - Text or #N/A - these are in cells b1,d1,f1,h1

For Type 1
I need to put in cell I1 the first (or any) instance of a number - The
number if picked up in a1,c1,e1,g1 will always be the same, ie only two
options - the number or a N/A. I want the formulae in I1 to look at
a1,c1,e1,g1 and tell me what the number in the range is.

For Type II
Same as above but I need to display in J1 the result of the first
instance of text (text will always be the same - could either be text
(eg ABC234) or NA that could be in b1,d1,e1,g1..

MANY THANKS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Works perfectly - thanks!!!!