Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Version # in excel

Want to put a version number in an excel spreadsheet - that cannot be
altered. I like the idea of the Custom Properties - but that appears like
an end user could change it.

I want to include a version number for debugging (so I know which version
they are using).

Any insight/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BBB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use a hidden name

With ActiveWorkbook
.Names.Add Name:="Version", RefersTo:="1.02.100"
.Names("Version").Visible = False
End With

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Billy Boone" wrote in message
Want to put a version number in an excel spreadsheet - that cannot be
altered. I like the idea of the Custom Properties - but that appears like
an end user could change it.

I want to include a version number for debugging (so I know which version
they are using).

Any insight/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BBB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

So how to I got about executing that code?

Then where would I go to view the version number (in the code again).

Forgive my ignorance.

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Use a hidden name

With ActiveWorkbook
.Names.Add Name:="Version", RefersTo:="1.02.100"
.Names("Version").Visible = False
End With

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Billy Boone" wrote in message
Want to put a version number in an excel spreadsheet - that cannot be
altered. I like the idea of the Custom Properties - but that appears

like
an end user could change it.

I want to include a version number for debugging (so I know which

version
they are using).

Any insight/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BBB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Billy,

In the VBA Editor, add a new module, and use the following code:

Sub AddVersionNumber()
With ActiveWorkbook
.Names.Add Name:="Version", RefersTo:="1.02.100"
.Names("Version").Visible = False
End With
End Sub

Sub ViewVersionNumber()
MsgBox "Version: " & Mid(ThisWorkbook.Names("Version").Value,
2)

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel