Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default excel cell and data formatting

Can I setup cells in a worksheet to accept data from a different
location using formuals and then prevent users from directly entering
data into those same cells. I wan the cells to receive the data from
the formula, but prevent users from directly entering data to that
cell....

my example is cell b3 gets data sum from cells b12thru i12 using a
formula embedded in b3) I want to prevent someone from just
accidentily entering data in b3 instead of the associated cells (b12
thru i12) thus preventing someone from eliminating the formula in
place (in b3) and cause problems with the rest of my sheets.

tks, if you have an answer

ratt out

--
ratt
ratt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24318

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can lock the cells. for which you need to:
Select all the cells, Format Cells Protection. Uncheck the locked
box. Then select the cells, which you want to lock, and again follow
the above steps and check the locked box this time. Then go to Tools
Protection, protect sheet. (Password is optional)

Another method, select the cell, go to data validation. Select say
decimal, and eual to some random number like 328454.2768 which you
don't expect the user to enter. In the error alert box, you can give
the message to the user saying edit so-and-so instead.

Mangesh

--
mangesh_yadav
mangesh_yadav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10470