Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default I have a kind of complex macro or vb script I want to program but do not know?

I have a complex script that I want to program but do not know where to
start. Let me explain my situation.

I have to complete reports at my work by inputing numbers from one
spread sheet to another. It is very time comsuming. Now, what I want to
do is simple, all I want is to input the numbers from one spread sheet
to another in the correct fields. Thats easy but here is when it gets
complex.

The spread sheets changes order in cells every 2 hours. Example, I
want to input ABC number from one report to another but ABC will be on
b2 at the 1:00 report and then at 3:00 it will be on b23, so I cant do
a simple index, so this is my idea. ABC on this sheet equals ABC on
this sheet. I wanted to know if you could program scripts based on
alpha charcters instead of cell placement cause the cells change all
the time.

You do not have to give me the answer, just point me in a direction
that I can work with. I would prefer to search it up myself and see how
to do it. If you have broad answer I can work off of that.

Thanks for anyones help.

BJ

--
bjwoodruff
bjwoodruff's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24259

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

bj,

How about using Find to look for ABC on both sheets (assuming there's only
one ABC on each sheet). Then you'll have the addresses of both ABCs and can
copy the data from one to the other.

Henry

"bjwoodruff" wrote
in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

So what you are saying to excute a command for the macro to find another
part of the report. Example, abc for spread sheet 1 to input information
do a search for abc on sheet 2. I am going to look into that. Thanks.

bj

--
bjwoodruff
bjwoodruff's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24259
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=378673

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What I do is excute a command that copies the content of abc then goes
to the other worksheet and finds that content. It works perfect.

bj

--
bjwoodruff
bjwoodruff's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24259
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=378673

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, I don't have an excellent (pun intended!) understanding of what is
changing your spreadsheets, or how that change is being accomplished.

However, if this is a re-ordering of pre-existing rows, then you might be
able to use named ranges to identify the cells. For instance, you could
name the cell at B2 at 1:00 'ABC_Value' in all your workbooks. Then, if
rows are inserted or copied and pasted, you could use

Application.Workbooks("Subordinate
Workbook.xls").Worksheets("RotatingSheet").Range(" ABC_Value) =
Application.Workbooks("Manual Entry
Workbook.xls").Worksheets("RotatingSheet").Range(" ABC_Value)

Using the name of a named range gives Excel a way to find the cell without
knowing the address.

If the reason the cell that should have the ABC value has moved is that rows
have been inserted above it and all this change is capturing "live" data all
the time, you could add a column to the sheet that keeps being changed that
has the time at which the row was added. Then, you could do a MATCH for
that time and a INDEX for the row that MATCH gave you and the appropriate
column in the range of worksheet values. If you used the reference form of
INDEX, that would give you a reference to the exact cell you wanted.

Hope this helps...

James Cox

"bjwoodruff" wrote
in message ...