Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default MultiColumn ComboBox Value set/display

I have a two-column ComboBox in a Form.
I am loading the choices via the .List = array
BoundColumn=1 updates a worksheet cell.

When I set the .Value or Choose an item from the pulldown, it only displays
the first column.

How do I set the .Value for the second column and show both columns when an
item is selected from the pulldown.

inTHANKSadvance,
Jim Zeeb
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't think you can.

You could concatenate the values:

Item1______Description1

so that you only have one column, but that may look kind of funny.

Maybe you could put a label right near the combobox that shows the other
column???

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The purpose of this comboBox control is to select one item from a list and
store the value selected in Column 1 (Bound Column) in an Excel worksheet
cell referenced by the .ControlSource property.

I could simulate this by using a locked TextBox, linked using the onClick
event of the comboBox. It just seems like there should be an easy way to
set/display both columns in the comboBox without all this extra code.

....jz

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

How about using a Listbox?

--

Jim Zeeb wrote:

I have a two-column ComboBox in a Form.
I am loading the choices via the .List = array
BoundColumn=1 updates a worksheet cell.

When I set the .Value or Choose an item from the pulldown, it only

displays
the first column.

How do I set the .Value for the second column and show both columns when

an
item is selected from the pulldown.

inTHANKSadvance,
Jim Zeeb

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I like Bob's idea of a nice listbox more and more.

Jim Zeeb wrote:

The purpose of this comboBox control is to select one item from a list and
store the value selected in Column 1 (Bound Column) in an Excel worksheet
cell referenced by the .ControlSource property.

I could simulate this by using a locked TextBox, linked using the onClick
event of the comboBox. It just seems like there should be an easy way to
set/display both columns in the comboBox without all this extra code.

...jz

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

How about using a Listbox?

--

Jim Zeeb wrote:

I have a two-column ComboBox in a Form.
I am loading the choices via the .List = array
BoundColumn=1 updates a worksheet cell.

When I set the .Value or Choose an item from the pulldown, it only

displays
the first column.

How do I set the .Value for the second column and show both columns when

an
item is selected from the pulldown.

inTHANKSadvance,
Jim Zeeb

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can do that with a listbox, and have the same sort of flexibility of a
combobox. Normally a listbox displays more than 1 item at a time, but by
design it doesn't have to, it can show just one. Agreed, it won't dropdown
like a combobox (combo can be styled like a listbox but not vice versa), you
need to click to scroll down. It would be better to show more than one IMO..
Also, if you want headings, listbox always displays the heading if the data
is bound to the listbox, whereas comboboxes only display on dropdowns.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Jim Zeeb" wrote in message
The purpose of this comboBox control is to select one item from a list and
store the value selected in Column 1 (Bound Column) in an Excel worksheet
cell referenced by the .ControlSource property.

I could simulate this by using a locked TextBox, linked using the onClick
event of the comboBox. It just seems like there should be an easy way to
set/display both columns in the comboBox without all this extra code.

...jz

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

How about using a Listbox?